Optimist Club Spotlight

Ranaya Gilliam, Staff Writer/Copy Editor

OPTIMIST CLUB IS BACK!

Last year, the club was put on hold, but after Ms. Kiel, the adviser of the club, was asked repeatedly to start it back up, she decided to revamp it and the club is now looking for new members. In a short interview, Ms. Kiel, along with the three students who asked her to start the club back up, was asked a few questions to better understand what Optimist Club is and how it benefits the school. The following questions came from an interview with Ms. Kiel.

Q: How was the club founded?

A: “Four years ago, Marissa Kahnt came up to me and asked if I would be interested in advising the club. I had to turn her down at first because I was really busy, but after I heard what the club was about, I decided to help start it up.”

Q: What is the purpose and message of Optimist Club?

A: “Our message is to spread random acts of kindness throughout the school and spread more positivity. We have a program called the ‘Angels of Hope’ and we adopt a family for Christmas when times are tough for them and provide them with gifts. We just want to spread more positive vibes.”

After asking Ms.Kiel about what exactly is Optimist Club, the students Keegan Mcguire, Lindsay Scott, and Olivia Bradley, the three junior  students who asked Ms. Kiel to restart the club this year, were interviewed. They were asked a few questions about what the club means to them personally.

Q: Why did you ask Ms. Kiel to restart Optimist Club?

A: “I wanted to start a club where you can help the community. Plus, my friend was sponsored by the club a few years ago.” -Mcguire

Pictured above (left to right): Keegan Mcguire, Lindsay Scott, and Olivia Bradley.

“The club helped out my family in 7th grade when my mom had cancer and I wanted to give back to those who helped us.” -Scott

“I was looking online and the club stood out at me and I just wanted to help spread more positivity.” -Bradley

Q: How does Optimist Club’s message of “spreading random acts of kindness” affect your life outside of school?

A: “It makes me feel like I’m doing something with purpose and more meaning.” -Mcguire

“Knowing people need help and being able to be there for them makes me feel good about myself. I just want to help others.” -Scott

“It affects me personally and it helps me, along with everyone, be more positive.” -Bradley

I also had a personal interview with Lindsey Scott, a member of the club who was sponsored through the “Angels of Hope” program almost four years ago when her mom was diagnosed with cancer. “My mom was apart of the club when it happened and the club sent presents to our family,” explained Scott, “After seeing the club help us out, I decided to join and help give back to community, inside and outside of school.”

Optimist Club is a great way to give back to the community around you and spread more positive vibes. The club also does volunteer work and leave small tokens of kindness around the school. An example would be putting money in a vending machine for the next person. It gives students an easier way to spread more kindness and makes the members better people overall.

The club has a lot planned this year and are looking for new members to help continue spread their message. If you are interested in Optimist Club and want to help spread their message throughout our school, the next meeting is November 14, 2017 in room 160 at 2:30.