Sprint & T-Mobile New Merging Plans

Hannah Monks, Copy Editor and Staff Writer

As of Monday, October 30th, Sprint and T-Mobile have called off their merging plans. According to Softbank, Sprint’s parenting company, it was called off due to a disagreement of what the merged companies would look like.

What was their original plan anyway? What would have happened if they merged? Most importantly, where did these rumors come from?

Back in 2013, the two large service providers of the Big 4 (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile) had discussed the possibility of merging their companies for their benefit. The rumors were quickly terminated due to the Obama administration disapproving the deal.

Rumors have always been present the past few years, but never brought to light. However, the idea was rekindled early this fall, and there was more information than ever.

The plan was for T-Mobile’s parenting company, Deutsche Telekom, to own the majority, while Softbank would own the minority stake.

Of course, every big change come with both advantages and disadvantages. In this case, the bad far outweighs the good.

Currently, Sprint uses outdated CDMA networking, which doesn’t give full LTE speed. T-Mobile uses the up-to-date GSM networking like everyone else does to bring faster LTE. Both companies have LTE, but because of Sprint using the outdated networking, their LTE speed is significantly slower.

This merge would be fantastic for Sprint customers, their speed would increase noticeably. With this merger, it could also allow the bigger company to increase investments in areas such as 5G networking.

This merge between the two companies would possibly allow Sprint users to have access to T-Mobile promotions such as free Netflix subscriptions and vice versa with T-Mobile users. All customers would supposedly be able to have better coverage as their networks are merged.

As for the disadvantages, prices could have sky rocketed due to the decrease in competition. Some promotions could have also been terminated for this reason too. T-Mobile and Sprint’s unlimited plan could have been hurt by the merger too.

To all customers of Sprint and T-Mobile, you could have had to buy a completely new phone due to technology differences. As of right now, Sprint and T-Mobile are on differnet pages of technology, since Sprint uses CDMA (no SIM card needed) and T-Mobile uses GSM (SIM card needed.) The one exception to the no SIM card is new LTE-enabled devices, which need a SIM card.

For the two companies, people say they dodged a bullet with calling off the merge. Because of the possible price change from the merger, people using the low cost plan for either company could potentially abandon them because of how costly they become. This could mean that people would switch to one of the other two big networks, or switch to a smaller company.

Even if they were to go through with the merge, there is a strong chance regulators would not approve their plans. So as of right now, the deal has been put off, but never forgotten. There will always be talk of a merger, and maybe there will be one in the future.