Seniority Sings

Victoria Pettey, Editor-in-Chief

What comes to mind when you think of high school football? Probably the players, the cheerleaders, and the beloved student section. But what about those brave girls who kick off our treasured football games? Who are the inspiring, music-loving girls of Seniority?

Before every home game, the 19 girls of seniority get together and rehearse. Of course, they do so while eating pizza and keeping up their newfound tradition, which entails passing around a beach ball, as a measure for good luck. “It really hypes us up,” Jaydenn Knepp said.

To most, singing in front of hundreds of game-goers is their worst nightmare, especially when many of those watchers are your peers. However, seniority member, Ashley Brauer, loves it. “I like the adrenaline rush that comes with singing in front of crowd, especially when the cheers come,” she explained. Since the girls are all members of our CVHS Choir program, they are an incredibly tight-knit group. “We support each other,” explained Lesley Charland, “so it helps ease our nerves.”

Why on earth would anyone want to sing in front of that many people? What drove these girls to try out? “Being in seniority is kind of a tradition for choir seniors,” Knepp told. Brauer also admits that last year’s group was astounding, and that she wanted to be a part of something that incredible. Another member, Ashley Serra, also confessed that the key to surviving senior year is to, “go big or go home.” She went on to explain that, “making music with the people I love,” is going pretty big.

The audition process begins in the spring of junior year, and they are notified of their acceptance by mid-summer. To audition, the girls must sing the National Anthem in A Capella, which is no simple task. “Once selected, they meet with each other and past seniority members, and learn their music on their own. They are essentially passing the torch at that point,” explains James Pecar, the choir director here at CVHS.

Of course, no group is complete without a mentor. These girls look up to their beloved director, Mr. Pecar. The feeling is mutual, because Pecar says that, “Working with them is special to me. Most of these seniors have been in choir for four years.” He goes on to say that, “They all really care about making musical moments and they are mature musicians who take immense pride in their work.”

Though football season is coming to a close, we will hear more from these girls at Commencements.

“Seniority is a very special group to me. They are wonderful people and it is so special to start the year with them at the football games and end the year at commencements,” Pecar continued. “I am always sad to see them go, but so happy that they have had the opportunity to create these memories.”