Movie Review: Thor Ragnarok

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

Whether you’ve been introduced to the god of thunder through his two prior movies, or by the successful Avengers franchise, Thor is one of the most iconic superheroes of all time.

Those who have been watching the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) lately know that Thor has progressively become the lovable dimwitted heart of Marvel. However, due to overall bland feeling of the first two movies Thor and Thor: The Dark World, people weren’t sure how to feel when Thor Ragnarok was announced. Would it be able to fix the mistakes of the two prior movies? Would Thor Ragnarok  meet expectations? Has it proven to be one of the best Marvel movies of all time?

The story follows the titular character Thor, as he wishes to prevent the forthcoming of Ragnarok, the supposed end of his home world, Asgard. Unfortunately, he is confronted by the goddess of death Hela, who sends Thor and his villainous brother Loki far from home so that she can conquer Asgard. Thor then finds himself stranded on a gladiator world where he is enslaved and forced to fight for the pleasure of the eccentric Grand Master. Now it’s up to Thor to get home and stop Hela with the help of an abundance of weird and likable characters.

The first thing you should know about this movie is that it is very strange, although its storytelling allows things to come off as relaxed and normal. The characters are unique and all have good amounts of screen time (though some may get more than others). But one of the films greatest strong suits is its scenery and world building; they both feel like something out of a space odyssey and all portray the movie through a bright and vibrant lens that gives a different tone depending on the location.

While there is a lot to enjoy in this movie, there is some criticism. The movie has a very comedic feel to it and the film provides great comedic relief to go with that, but I would have appreciated more moments of emotion and silence to go with that comedy. The story could be a little slow in certain areas, but it never failed to throw in good creative scenes to make up for it. Overall the movie does something that I wished it did in the previous movies, it embraced the weirdness of Thor. Instead of trying to be super serious, it embraced the strange obscurity of Thor and ran with it, therefore making it a very enjoyable final movie. For its amazing scenes, character development, plot, and world building but also its occasional need for a serious or calm moment I give Thor Ragnarok a 9/10.