2017 World Baseball Classic

Shawn Robinson II, Staff Writer

October has wrapped up and November is upon us. This means that baseball is coming to a close, which also means that the 2017 World Series has come and gone. The LA Dodgers and Houston Astros went head-to-head for seven games this series.

On Wednesday night, the Astros were able to clench their first World Series win in franchise history. It was an exciting series for both teams, but the better win came up on top.

George Springer, the Series MVP, holds up the big trophy. Photo: Brett Coomer/Houston Chronicle

A key player to help the Astros win was George Springer, the Willie Mays World Series MVP winner. He was a very important part of the Houston offense with a strong .379 batting average.  Springer also became the first player to have a home run in 4 straight games within a WS.

JV with his first World Series Trophy. (Photo: Ezra Shaw, Getty Images)

Justin Verlander, former ace pitcher for the Detroit Tigers , helped the Astros win the World Baseball Classic with his stellar performance pitching Games 2 and 6. Although the team didn’t win that night, he still had a strong performance. It was the pitcher’s first World Series win, even though it was his third appearance. He commented, “I can’t even put it into words. The experience is everything I dreamed it would be. But I didn’t take a second of this for granted, because having been here twice and falling short, I know how hard it is to win the World Series” (via Detroit Free Press).

The Houston Astros also became the first team in MLB history to win a pennant in both the NL and AL. When they first became an organization in 1962 as an expansion team, they entered the National League as the Houston Colt .45s and were to play along side with the New York Mets. The team played in the NL until 2012. During that duration, they won and went to the WS, but got swept 4 games to none.  When they then switched to the American League in 2012, they did not reach the playoffs until the 2015 season. They continued to build each season, and in the end, they won it all.

The Astros owner Jim Crane holds up the World Series Trophy. Photo: Michael Ciaglo/Houston Chronicle

Congratulations to the Houston Astros baseball club for their newest and biggest achievement. This was an exciting moment for everyone in the city, especially in a time of despair.