Define Family–A Short Story

BreAnne Turner, Staff Writer

“Cam, could you be a dear and pass the bowl of macaroni on your right?” Kyle’s mom asked. Passing it to the person I stared back down towards my plate, the steam rising to my face. I poked around a piece of food and sighed.

‘How did I even end up here exactly? I mean I know but again how did I end up in such an environment like this?’ I contemplated.

Lets see, if I recall my parents would stop arguing about who would get me for Thanksgiving back at home. Knowing well that I’m uncomfortable with how loud they are I left to go to Milo Green Park. Next, my buddy Kyle comes out of nowhere and just invited me over without letting me respond like always since we’ve known each other since Kindergarten.

Now I’m here, in a family environment that I feel extremely off being present in. “Cam deary! Could you be a gentleman and help me make some more lemonade in the kitchen?” she asked. She stood from the long table, her finger pointing to the kitchen. In the kitchen she gave me the ingredients and instructed the steps.

“Cam, define family.” she said after a few seconds of silence. I stopped pouring the lemon juice in the pitcher and cocked an eyebrow. “Could you repeat that?” I asked “Define family?” she asked once more.

I looked down at the table, the open door that lead to the living room, even the utensils at the sink. Anything to help me avoid the question.

“Well, it’s all the descendants of a common ancestor.” I replied. “Yes, and..?” she asked.”…and what?” I didn’t really getting the point she wants to get across.

“What about Kyle, do you think he is family? Or maybe me?” she asked. “But your not.” I answered. “At least not blood related.”

She leaned her hip on the island table and smiled. “But you have it all wrong. This lemonade, for example has so many parts that are different but come together perfectly. The sugar, lemon juice, and even the mint. They are all different but they complete each other to make most things better if they were on their own.”

She patted my head. “So yes, we may not be blood related but we each have a part to complete each other to make things better. Like one perfect pitcher of lemonade. Now come so the food won’t get cold.”

As I got to my seat, I felt a bit lighter than usual. I feel like this whole Thanksgiving night wasn’t a total bust. Grabbing a hand on either side of me, bowed my head and smiled.

“A Thanksgiving night with a lemonade of a family. The real definition.” I whispered to myself.