History of Chippewa Valley High School

Kylie Kuskowski, Staff Writer

Chippewa Valley High School was built in 1961, starting with only a freshmen and sophomore class. Their first senior class graduated in 1965, having their 50th reunion two years ago in 2015. The Valley has remained on the same campus since the beginning, even with all the expansions and relocating with other schools and the creation of a ninth-grade center.

The main building of Chippewa was originally built to be Dakota High School, as it still states on the blue prints. With time though, they decided it was best to just expand the campus and keep it under the same name. In 1995, another building was added for Dakota, splitting the ninth and tenth grade classes.

This school started out in farm land, built on dirt roads and supposedly the students would ride their tractors to get to school. When they first opened the building, there was no running water. Due to this, they would have to use the “potty buses” to transport the students back and forth down the street just to use the restroom.

Chippewa used to have smoking patios, allowing staff and students who were of age to have smoke breaks during the day. This was located in the area of the tunnel between the main building and the ninth-grade center, next to the football field. In 1986, it was banned due to complaints of the people driving by and seeing those clouds of smoke. With this, the hall monitors and security guards were made apart of the Big Red family. They needed someone who could keep watch of what students were doing between and during classes, making sure they were staying out of trouble and not ditching to go take a smoke break.

Many celebrities have walked the halls of the Valley. One of them being the famous actor, film director, producer, and screenwriter, Paul Feig. He is best known for directing the films Bridesmaids, The Heat, and 2016 remake of Ghostbusters. More importantly, he made a television series, Freaks and Geeks, based off his experiences here at Chippewa, being a part of the class of 1988. The show takes place in Chippewa, Michigan, obviously named after his former high school. When Feig attended the Valley, he participated in the talent show when current assistant principal, Mr. Fiorvento, was junior class sponsor. Years later, Feig thanked the staff of his past high school and told them how he was inspired to build a career in entertainment because of them.

Years have come and gone between the halls of Chippewa Valley High School, and so many things have come to show for its success. Students have returned as teachers, building upon the history. Fiorvento shared, “When students come back to continue their career at the Valley, it gives me pride that they want to return and stay apart of the Big Red family.” Even now, the school is still growing and advancing. The student body has almost doubled in the past twenty years, going from 10,000 to 16,000 kids since Dr. Davisson has been principal. When taking a closer look on the history of this school, Davisson has a sense of accomplishment and joy, pointing out how far we have come and grown as a community.