Senior Spotlight: Katie Burton

Karen Andrade, Staff writer

Katie Burton is a Chippewa Valley High School Senior. She has been a part of the dance team for 3 years, two of which were spent being on Varsity and one on JV. Burton has been the varsity team captain for 2 years. Burton wanted to join the dance team because she “had a few friends that were a bit older on the team, and some my age that were gonna try out.” Knowing that some of her friends were a part of the team and others were to join, she felt inspired to do so as well.

Prior to being on the CVHS dance team, she dedicated her time doing studio dance, until one day she decided she wanted to try something new and different.

Burton is also the only senior on the varsity team. Therefore, the last few dances she was a part of were very special and close to her heart. When asked what it was like being the only senior on the team, she stated that it’s “really cool because I get to see the other girls grow and mature, and they all have respect for me.” Although it can be hard at times, being the only senior has been an amazing experience for her.

When describing her experience on the team, Burton said it was “breathtaking.”

“The girls are all so nice and its like a big family.” All the girls on the team have become a second family. Burton says she has not only grown up as a dancer but as a person. Being able to travel to Florida for Nationals has helped her see more of the world and experience more of it.

Around the time of the last football game of her high school dance career, Burton found out that she wasn’t going to be able to dance due to severe pain in her hip. She received the news that she wouldn’t be able to dance until she got an MRI and went to an orthopedic surgeon. At first, she thought she had a torn Labrum, but later on, found out she had Tendinitis in her hip and swollen Lymph Nodes. She states that it’s safe for her to continue dancing as long as she is getting physical therapy and Chiropractic care.

Being that Burton is a senior this year, she says that never being a part of the dance team after high school “will be really hard.” She says she will “miss the dancing, the girls and her coach.”

Being a part of the dance team has changed Burton as an individual, has helped create beautiful memories that she will carry with her everywhere she goes, and wherever she ends up.