What’s In-Store For Netflix?

Joslynn Monroig, Student Life Editor

It is the biggest streaming network that the world has to offer, is in nearly every household, and everyone knows its name; say it with me, Netflix. Netflix is the worlds leading network that streams movies and television shows, and it has a cloudy future.

Image result for netflix originals

Some “Netflix Originals”

In 2015, Netflix created the reputation as the Pixar of television, crunching out hit shows like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and BoJack Horseman. A show being known as a “Netflix Original” once meant that it was a hot topic and that the show was crafted with undeniable quality. There was no doubt that a show created by Netflix would be enjoyed. Now, the “Netflix Originals” aren’t so hot; the great quality content that once was pushed out is no longer great, but rather surrounded but an abundance of mediocre entertainment. Now, if there’s a “Netflix Original”, there’s only a 50/50 shot of making it to the end of the series.

Netflix finds itself no longer being top dog but instead being surpassed by networks like HBO, Showtime, and Hulu that have created more satisfying shows based on old-fashioned instinct. HBO renewed The Leftovers, a destitute drama about grief, the kind of show that Netflix would now kill to have. Hulu has bypassed Netflix by refusing to bargain the everlasting bleakness of The Handmade’s Tale. Even Showtime has managed to improve on loved series by concentrating largely on mushroom clouds and static with In Twin Peak: The Return. 

The only thing that Netflix has to do is rediscover its desire for change. A tweak in the quality that is produced and Image result for ultimate beastmasterNetflix would have the title of the “world’s best streaming network” again, and that is exactly what Netflix has in-store. Chief content officer of Netflix, Ted Sarandos, told attendees at a UBS conference that Netflix plans to launch 20 unscripted, reality TV-style shows next year. One of the big shows in this genre is a show called Ultimate Beastmaster, which will feature athletes and hosts from six different countries, including the United States, Germany, South Korea, Japan, Mexico, and Brazil. Netflix thoroughly enjoys the reality TV genre because the company believes it’s more likely to work in foreign markets. The streaming company made a big bet on international subscribers as part of its future growth plans.

The future of Netflix is unclear; if it doesn’t switch up its content it’ll go completely down the drain, whereas if it adds better quality content and gears their shows to the right demographic it could shoot straight back up to the top. No one knows for sure what will happen, I guess we all will have to wait and see.