The Climate Change Controversy

Kimberly Schulte, News Editor

Global warming is a controversial topic that has been debated in politics for quite some time now, especially here in the United States. Politicians and American citizens alike often argue on whether or not global warming is a real harm to the human race, how much has occurred over time, and if it even occurs at all.  

In order to attempt to come to a conclusion on this issue, the United Nations formed a group of scientists called the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).  

In scientific literature, the general analysis is that human beings are actually speeding up the effects of global warming by emitting greenhouse gases. Conventional research suggests a number of ways that humans contribute to climate change including things like the combustion of fossil fuels in cars and factories. IPCC indicates that deforestation also contributes to climate change, because trees and other plants convert carbon dioxide into oxygen for organisms to breath, and such a process won’t take place if humans constantly knock out forests for industrial purposes.  

It is most common that people on the left end of the political spectrum support efforts to combat global warming

Graph of recorded CO2 emissions per year.

and its effects, while people on the right end tend to denounce climate change altogether; but overall opinions tend to vary depending on the individual.  

The Trump administration has openly stated their disbelief in climate change, but has “no alternative explanation” regarding the U.S. report on global warming that was issued last Friday. The report makes it clear that humans are the number one cause of the problem. You can view and read the official report here.  

With the concept of global warming being such a hot topic in politics, the Tomahawk interviewed two high school seniors who both feel quite passionate on the subject. Jeremy Baehr, a student who doesn’t have any specific political affiliation, is one of the few who strongly believes that climate change is a hoax that was created for political attention. When asked if this was an opinion that derived from his parents’ opinions, Beahr replied, “Ironically enough, this is my own opinion that I achieved after studying in A.P. environmental science when we were specifically reviewing global warming.”  

Sarah Garlock, another senior at The Valley who considers herself to be more on the left end of the political spectrum, says that she feels that global warming is absolutely a real threat to the earth, and that it is imperative that people acknowledge that.  She continued with this:

“It is such a rarity for scientists to disagree with the fact that anthropogenic climate change is taking place and quite frankly scientists that specialize in that field know a lot more about the subject than I do, and probably a lot more than the people who oppose it. Industry, pollution, municipal waste—whether people believe that humans are catalysts or are solely at fault, I still believe that it is important to acknowledge our role and work to reverse this dangerous process.” 

Garlock went on to say that she also acquired her opinion after doing her own personal research in A.P. environmental science! In addition, she said that it is important for people to always try to reduce their carbon footprint.  

You can contribute to the health of the earth by doing things like recycling, carpooling or riding a bike to get to your destination, and unplugging electronic devices when they are not in use. You can click here for more information on other things you can do to reduce the effects of global warming.