What Yearbook Is All About

Hannah Monks, Staff Writer/Copy Editor

Yearbook. A book that holds memories of years come and gone, a book that everyone dresses up for one day of the year just for the majority of the students to hate how it turned out. Most importantly, the yearbook is a place to look back on in the years, remembering all of your fun moments in school. Students generally make sure to buy one their last year of high school or grade school to have their friends write them nice little notes to look back at.

But who’s behind this memory making process? For those who are unaware, The Valley offers Yearbook as a four year class. The Yearbook staff was kind enough to give us some insight on what Yearbook is all about.

During Yearbook 1, students learn the basics of the book. They learn how to use Photoshop, how to take interesting pictures, and the works.

Junior Lilly Hofbauer said, “My freshman year was the first year they let ninth graders take Yearbook.” This is Lilly’s third year in Yearbook, and she says it has substantially changed her high school experience. She also said “My favorite activity to write about has been the marching band spread sheet.” She said she’s done it all three years so far and hopes to get it next year.

People in Yearbook form strong, special bonds. Sophomores are friends with juniors, juniors are friends with seniors, and seniors are friends with everybody!

When asked about yearbook, senior Elise Thomas said that it has “completely changed everything I would have thought about high school. It expanded my horizons about what I love.”

Thomas is CTSO president of Yearbook and she says it gives her a completely different perspective of things. “I get to stand back and see things regarding the community as well as be hands on in the yearbook. Every day I walk into yearbook, I could be feeling the cruddiest, and I walk through those doors and I just feel like I’m at home.”

Thomas highly suggests joining if you are considering becoming part of the family. “Do NOT hesitate, it has been one of the best decisions of my entire life.”

It even impacts the sophomores who are able to start school at the main building with some information up their sleeves. Jordan Hofbauer describes yearbook as “one big happy family”.

“We get to goof around while still doing work and you get close to everybody. The best part is the people, because everyone has their own personality. We kind of just glue together.”

After interviewing active members of Yearbook, it’s clear that this is not just a fun class, but a family. A family that impacts the lives of others in high school and beyond. As the seniors get ready to go make their last yearbook, they say hello to new faces and say goodbye to old ones.