Champions Only: CVHS Wrestling

Ranaya Gilliam, Staff Writer/ Copy Editor

Champions Only. These are the two words above the door when the wrestling team first walks in.

As fall comes to an end, along with the sports associated with it, the winter sports are starting to prepare for a new season.

The wrestling team started their daily practices after school and started training to get ready to “kick butt and win meets.” Wrestling is a team sport. The boys have known each other for quite some time now and push each other to do their very best. In the end, they are all one big family.

Pictured above: Aidan Wilson, Brandon Badour, and Nick Backus

Senior, Brandon Badour, is one of this season’s Varsity captains and has been wrestling for the past 9 years. He is very dedicated to wrestling and feels honored to have a leadership position. Badour explained, “It can be very stressful, but I am always able to come through for my team. I want to do the best for my teammates.” He looks forward to being very successful this season and he is sure of their future success because the team has a lot of seniors this year. When asked what he’ll miss most once the season is over, he responded, “Winning…and my teammates.”

Aidan Wilson is a senior on Varsity, who has been wrestling for about 3 years, is looking forward to “kicking butt and helping the team win meets and tournaments” for this upcoming season. Wilson also said, “I’ll miss working out with the team once the season is over. It motivates me to do better”. The senior is really looking forward to his last season and has high confidence in his team that they’ll win and be extremely successful. 

Nick Backus is a junior on Varsity and has also been wrestling for 3 years. He is really looking forward to having a team with a lot of seniors. “It’s going to be a good year for the team because all of the guys are individually good.” Backus is self-assured, that with the presence of former players, the team will triumph this season.

Pictured above: Coach K and Coach Gides

The coaches are working hard to get the boys ready and in shape for their upcoming season. Coach Kolesky has been a coach for the past 19 years and plans on whipping the boys into shape by “working them tough and getting them to the mentality of winning.” He also explained that they use, “mental exercises to show the boys how to approach their opponent.”

Coach Gides has been coaching for 9 years and plans on getting the boys ready the old-fashioned way. “We work hard and have a system that the kids believe in. Everyday we have an end goal of 100% and we plan to add on to that after every practice.”

The Big Reds Varsity wrestling team means business this season and believe in each other and in their system and they are beyond confident in their future success this season.

Good luck boys!