Big Fish Was a Big Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big Fish Was a Big Success

Victoria Pettey and Nina Gojcaj, Editor-in-chief/Staff-writer

The CVHS Drama Club is back and better than ever! Since August, the cast of “Big Fish,” has been working tirelessly, rehearsing dance routines, memorizing lines, and singing their hearts out.

The story of “Big Fish,” revolves around the main character, Edward Bloom, who is known for telling whimsical, unbelievable stories to his son, William Bloom. The story jumps around from past to present, and as it continues we learn about Edward’s past, whether it be of fact or fiction. We also watch William grow up and struggle to form a trusting, loving relationship with his father. Through countless stories of witches, giants, and werewolves, Edward masks his “ambitious cancer,” from his loved ones.

Courtesy of Mrs. Dubon

Since the summer months, the cast brought the songs and stories of the production to life. Cast member, Andrew Dubon expressed the challenges that come with being cast as a lead role, “I knew it was going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done—having to put all of myself into the role, and becoming Edward Bloom.” He also described the production as “life changing.” Junior, Johnny Serra played young Edward Bloom. At first, Serra was intimidated of such a vital role. As opening night approached, his confidence grew and he felt he was ready to bring young Edward’s exciting spirit to life. Since Dubon and Serra essentially had the same role, they relied heavily on each other in order to shape their characters. Serra explained, “It was easier to come into character because there was an older version of me. The main way I developed Edward was by paying close attention to what Andrew was doing, and how our characters connected.”

Courtesy of Sieloff

Courtesy of Sieloff

Of course, no cast is complete without their beloved and often humorous supporting roles. Junior Daniella Grainger played the ringleader-turned-werewolf Amos, who helped Mr. Bloom land the girl of his dreams. Grainger’s best advice is, “No matter what role you get, don’t quit based on what others do or think.” Another junior, Travis Darghali, played Zack Price, witty friend of young Edward Bloom. Zack Price was Darghali’s first appearance in a CVHS Musical production. “I’ve wanted to be a part of the musical since freshman year, but I never had the courage to do it. I was worried what other people would think.” After the release of the cast list, however, his confidence skyrocketed.

Courtesy of Sieloff

As a senior, spending hours upon hours rehearsing and giving it their all, the end of such a production is bittersweet. Senior Nina LoGrasso, who played young Sandra Templeton, held this production close to her heart. “With this musical being my last one, it felt more special because the rest of the seniors and I knew we had to make every moment count.” said LoGrasso. Dubon gave his heartwarming advice for the upcoming seniors in the next CVHS musical production by saying, “Cherish every second you are on stage because before you know it, it will be your last bow and the spotlight will no longer be on you.”

Don’t worry, the CVHS stage won’t be empty for long. The drama department will be back in a few short weeks with their rendition of the ever-popular Christmas story, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Tickets are available for December 8th and 9th at http://www.cvtheater.org/