The Weinstein Ripple Effect

Kimberly Schulte, News Editor

In October of 2017, American film producer Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual harassment and assault by multiple women. In addition to making a large portion of the general public angry, the allegations have shone a light on the subject of people in Hollywood and in politics who abuse their power for their own twisted personal gain.  

After the initial reports were made, more and more individuals started to publicly come out about their own experiences with Weinstein and his acts of sexual misconduct. The accusations continued even more so with other faces in the entertainment industry also being accused of things like sexual harassment and sexual assault.  

A screencap of Kevin Spacey on the Netflix original House of Cards.

House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey was accused of making a sexual advance on actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was just fourteen years old. In an apologetic statement that has been posted on Spacey’s twitter, the actor said that he could not remember the incident because it “would have happened over 30 years ago” and that he does, however, apologize if that is what took place. Spacey was almost immediately ridiculed afterward though because he chose to simultaneously come out as a gay man in the posted statement. Netflix initially just suspended season six of House of Cards following the accusations but has since fired Spacey altogether.  

Netflix also cut ties with comedian and filmmaker Louis C.K. after reports of sexual misconduct came out about him as well. Several women came forward to describe situations in where he sexually harassed them and asked them if he could do inappropriate things while they sat in front of him. In a statement, C.K. confirmed the rumors shortly after they became public, and admitted that he had abused his power as a celebrity. You can read his full statement here.

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore (R)

The current Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore was also accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. He’s been accused of making sexual advances toward a minor, and of inappropriately groping other women. Moore has denied all accusations against him and has been rejected by many Republicans in addition to being asked to step down from his position as a candidate.  

E! News correspondent Ken Baker, NBC News political analyst Mark Halperin, director and producer Rick Najera, actor Jeremy Piven, Minnesota Senator Al Franken are among the other prominent individuals that were accused of sexual misconduct.  

Seeing as the uproar of women sharing their experiences and calling out eminent figures of Hollywood began with Weinstein himself, it is being called the Weinstein Ripple Effect and has sparked serious conversion about the topic all over social media.  

There was even a hashtag #MeToo that was created shortly after the reports on Weinstein, which seemed to have opened the door for people to find the strength to come forward with their stories.  

Whether or not the claims against these famous individuals are true, this ripple effect opens up a very important topic of discussion surrounding the way victims of sexual harassment and assault tend to hide these traumatic events because people with this type of power seem as though they can get away with it. The public outrage that has been caused by the Weinstein Ripple Effect could be seen as appropriate, and it is clear that the world refuses to ignore this growing issue.  

To learn more about things like sexual assault and domestic violence, and find ways in which you can get involved or support a victim you know, you can visit this website here.