The Royal Engagement

Kylie Kuskowski, Staff Writer

Prince Harry, grandson of Queen Elizabeth and fifth in line to the throne, was engaged to Meghan Markle, his American girlfriend, as announced on November 27th.

Clarence House tweeted out this picture that morning:

They have been dating since July 2016 but it was not officially announced until October 2016. It was shared by the Clarence House that the wedding would take place in spring of 2018, right after Kate Middleton has her third child. After they are married, Prince Harry and Markle will be named the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

After the announcement of their engagement, plenty of congratulations followed. Queen Elizabeth and her husband, Prince Philip, said they were “delighted,” and wished Prince Harry and Markle, “every happiness.” Prince Charles, Harry’s father, said he was “thrilled.” His brother, Prince William, and his wife, Kate Middleton, said they were, “very excited for Harry and Meghan.” Markle’s parents, Doria and Thomas Markle, said they were “incredibly happy,” for them.

What makes their engagement stand out even more is Markle’s ethnicity, biracial. They will become the most famous mixed-race royal couple yet. Although, they are not the first to make it happen. Even so, she is gaining attention for mixed girls across the world. She has the chance to inspire millions and give more insight to the family on behalf of all races.

Markle graduated from Northwestern University in Illinois in 2003, married in 2011, and got a divorce two years later. She is an American actress and known for her roles in television series “Suits” and “Fringe”. She is also looked up to for her work with charities and her role in gender equality and women’s empowerment.

Prince Harry’s reputation has made a drastic change throughout the years. When he was younger, he was seen as the bad boy of the royal family. He was always seen partying and using racial slurs, which he later apologized for. Harry has spoke of these past events and related them to the troubles he dealt with after his mother (Princess Diana)’s death. Since then, he has matured and become a royal family favorite.