Toy Drive 2017

Carla Perkins, Feature Editor

Every year, Chippewa Valley High School holds a Toy Drive to give less fortunate children the Christmas that they deserve. This year, Toy Drive is the week of December 4th, and donations will be excepted during 4th hour classes.

So, who makes it all happen? Sophomores Roger Briddick and Katie Bobzin are chairing Toy Drive this year, and are both very excited to be a part of the annual event. “What I like most about being Chairman of the Toy Drive, without a doubt, is being able to collect the donations from all of the various teachers in our school. It goes to show the community here at Chippewa what we so frequently take for granted; we have truly amazing teachers and staff that genuinely care about their school and would love to help kids in need!” Briddick expressed. Bobzin added, “The best part of this event is helping the little kids and knowing that they will have a happy Christmas because of the generous people at Chippewa.” It is clear that Toy Drive is an event that means a lot to the families of our district.

Many people are unaware of where the toys and donations actually go. “All the toys we collect or buy from money donations go straight to the 7 main Elementary schools [in our district]. Then, directly to the families of children less fortunate,” Briddick explained. One day, the children receiving these toys might just be a part of the Toy Drive when they reach high school. It is an event that will hopefully keep growing throughout the years to come.

“In previous years, Chippewa’s Toy Drive has been on the low. Bringing in less than we’d hoped for. However, this year working in collaboration with Katie Bobzin, we were able to beat last year’s amount raised by over 500%! Also, this year’s Toy Drive beat the old record of donations by 150%, making it the most successful one so far!” Briddick shared when asked about this year’s goals for Toy Drive. “…This year was very successful. Each year we attempt to beat what we have raised in the past,” Bobzin expressed.
Toy Drive means a lot to Mrs. Luft, a teacher here at CVHS. “Toy Drive impacts the community by bringing people together. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to give to their children this time of year, and this event is a way to bring cheer to kids at a time that can be sad for some of them,” she shared.
Overall, Toy Drive is a huge part of the holiday season here at The Valley. It has a positive effect on the community as a whole, not solely on the kids receiving the toys. It is the hope of many that this event continues to grow and help families in need.