Rock the Valley: A Rock the Mic Review

Ranaya Gilliam, Staff Writer/ Copy Editor

Rock the Mic. A place where the writers, poets, rappers, and comedians of Chippewa Valley come together and share their voice with fellow students and parents. On Tuesday, December 12, 2017, CVHS’s Writers Club held their annual ‘Rock the Mic’ and the performances this year were eye-opening and very entertaining. There was a healthy mix of previous performers coming back on stage, along with some new performers who wanted to show off their skills.

Mrs. Martin, the advisor of the club that made this event possible, started things off with an original poem of her’s and looked forward to relaxing in the audience and watch the rest of the performances which included: a snare drum solo, musicians, stand-up comedians, storytellers, and poets. This night is special to Mrs. Martin because “it’s a space where people with a voice can express themselves and tell their truth. People interested in writing and being creative can share their ideas with an open crowd.”

Sara Scharnhorst and Elise Pannemann, audience members and 12th graders at CVHS, felt the same way about Rock the Mic. “My favorite thing about tonight is the people [referencing to the audience]. They make everything better,” explained Scharnhorst. Pannemann added on, “I love how open everyone is. To get on that stage makes the performer vulnerable and I enjoy that.”

Pictured above: Lafaive reciting her poem.

Moving on to the amazing performances, Kaisey Lafaive, secretary of Writers Club and senior here at CVHS, shared an original poem. This was her second time performing at the Rock the Mic. Lafaive commented, “When I first got on stage, I felt scared and I was trying to not mess up. When I got off the stage, I was relieved it was over and glad that I didn’t mess up.”

Pictured above: 10th grader, Roger Briddick, killing it on the snare drum.

Roger Briddick, a sophomore, performed for the first time and shared his drum line skills by playing some snare drum selections. When asked why he decided to perform, he jokingly replied, “For the extra 15 points.” But he quickly added, “I like drumming and want to pursue it in my future so getting on stage was like extra practice for me.” When he first got on stage, he felt “scared and a bit weird.” When he was done drumming for the audience, he felt that he “could’ve done better, but it was still a fun experience and he will definitely perform again next year.”

Coming back for her third performance, Shann Schaffner, a junior here at Chippewa Valley, shared 2 of her original and spine-chilling poems. Schaffner wanted to come back again for a third time because she likes poetry and is a member of Writers Club. Rock the Mic is an important night to her because her close friends, who graduated, pushed her on to perform on stage and now she likes to share her work with others.

Pictured above: Shann Schaffner reciting two poems

Overall, Rock the Mic had a great showcase this year. All of the performers did an amazing job and I’m looking forward to next year. A huge thank you to Writers Club and Mrs. Martin for hosting the event again this year.

Pictured above: All of the talented performers.