ISIS in 2017

Joslynn Monroig, Student Life Editor

2017 has been a crazy year, and a lot has happened. Between the presidential elections, all of the disastrous weather like the hurricanes, floods, and fires, all of the mass shootings, and last but certainly not least, ISIS. They have caused mass chaos in our country and there is no sign of stopping.

ISIS included an evaluation in their weekly magazine, Al-Naba of their attacks throughout the Islamic calendar year of 1438 which is from October 3rd, 2016, to September 21, 2017.  The group counted 38 operations in 19 different countries including Australia, Bangladesh, Belgium, Egypt, France, Germany, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Palestine, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Out of these attacks, 24% of them involved bombs and grenades, 21% involved stabbings, 19% involved firearms, 18% involved suicide missions, 13% vehicle ramming, and 5% involved fire.

A section in the article was titled “The Top 5 Most Prominent Operations,” It consisted of their “top 5” other memorable attacks.  One of which consisted of an ISIS solider attacking a celebration in Istanbul, Turkey which resulted in 150 deaths and injuries. They also attacked a nightclub in Reina that resulted in 39 killed and more than 70 injured. Two other ISIS soldiers attacked two Christian churches in Egypt resulting in 190 deaths and injuries.

Image result for isis

Two other ISIS soldiers suicide bombed two different churches killing themselves along with 45 others, and injuring up to 126 people. ISIS takes credit for the Manchester bombing that happened back in May and took the lives of 22 innocent people, and injuring hundreds of people. They also take credit for the attacks on the Iranian parliament buildings that killed tens of Shiite Muslims. Another set of ISIS soldiers attacked a gathering in Barcelona by ramming a vehicle into a crowd causing the death of 150 crusaders and Jews.

Since the Islamic calendar year of 1438 ended, the group has claimed several more attacks including a fatal stabbing in France and truck ramming in Manhattan, New York that killed eight. Most recently, the group claims to be the inspiration behind Stephen Paddock’s Las Vegas shooting that killed 58 concert attendees and injured hundreds.

Image result for isis christmas threat On November 2, 2017 ISIS put out propaganda photos showing Santa Claus standing next to a box of dynamite in New York City. They also threatened to attack  Washington’s National Cathedral by spreading a propaganda poster of the church engulfed in flames. The caption of the poster reads “We meet at Christmas in New York… soon.” Which further puts New York on edge and sparks the fear in Washington.

No matter what happens and the outcome, this is a time for the nation to pull together, stay strong and unite as one. The Tomahawk would like to wish everyone safe and happy holidays.