A Christmas with Snow

BreAnne Turner, Staff Writer

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Snow. A tiny little girl, while at the age of 10, she seems too lonely for her own good. Being couped up in an orphanage takes a toll. Seeing old friends leave with their new family and leaving her behind. But no worries, for this year will be different. Bringing good cheer to all, including snow.

It seems to never snow during this time of year. A day from Christmas Eve and while it is cold, a snow fall would be nice. Walking around the halls, I go to the reading area and grab a small book to read about birds in my usual corner.

My old friends have gone off to their new families, so I become more and more lonely and was left alone with my books since I don’t talk to others.
.
.
.

My new parents hadn’t really shown me the welcome that I thought I would get when finally being adopted. Being showered by kisses and affection on the spot. Now, they seem like they are scared of me. It makes me somewhat sad.

Finally being the night of Christmas Eve, I was getting more comfortable in my new room. The house was a different story, since it was so much more different than orphanage seeing how there were no other kids to be around anymore.

It’s quiet as Ryan and Alex, my new parents, are asleep. I was very close to the Christmas Tree, so I decided to see what i can find. Slowly opening the door, I tip-toed my way to the tree near the window. The wooden floor making me shiver with each step I take.

Simple colors of green, red, and gold caught my eye. Taking one of the presents, I shake it a tiny bit tossing and turning every which way.

“Hey little girl, what are you doing up so late?” It was Ryan sneaking up on me as I held the opened gift in my hand, examining it next to the window. I must not have noticed her because of how distracted I was of the snow. She turns in my direction of the scene.

“I can’t remember the last time it snowed on Christmas. I’m glad Igot to see it with you. You’re a new part of the family.” She got up and left to her room. “Hope you like your present, I picked it out especially for you.”