2018 Grammy Nominations

Everyone’s favorite time of year is right around the corner—award season. Well, maybe not everyone’s. But if you are one of the millions of people who are keeping up with the celebrities and their new movies, TV shows, music, and etc., you have the upcoming award shows marked in your calendar.

The 2018 Grammys are approaching and the nomination list was released recently, and with these announcements came fans who celebrated their favorite artists being first-time nominees, and others not so pleased with some expected favorites missing from the 84 categories.

Courtesy of TIDAL

JAY-Z takes the lead with a totaled eight nominations this season, including Album of the Year and Song of the Year. Followed by Kendrick Lamar who earned seven nominations. Lamar’s album that debuted this year, became a global phenomenon, with his hit singles like “HUMBLE” and “LOYALTY” being played daily by radio stations, so his continuous praise shown in the nominations did not surprise the world. SZA takes the title of 2018’s most Grammy-nominated woman with five nods. Her album “Ctrl” was wildly successful this year selling 60K units in its first week.

Courtesy of BET Awards

These statistics are showing that R&B and rap are thriving in the music world right now, but now the familiar popularity of pop music has diminished. Artists like Ed Sheeran are said to have been unrecognized for their work and success this year. Although in the past Sheeran has competed in categories such as Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Record of the Year, this year he was limited to single-genre nominations for Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Pop Solo Performance.

Although pop music has been somewhat neglected, most are excited that more artists of color and ethnicity are being recognized for their hard work in 2017.

To find out who will be taking home Grammy awards this season, be sure to watch the ceremony on January 28th, held by CBS.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/2018-grammy-nominations-5-things-we-learned-w512755

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8047027/grammys-2018-complete-nominees-list