Movie Review: Star Wars The Last Jedi

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

Two years ago in theaters all over the world, a continuation of the epic space saga Star Wars was released under the title of Star Wars The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens was a smash hit at the box office and made 2.066 billion dollars in total and also received critical praise. But when they released the sequel, The Last Jedi, the real question came to mind: could they follow it up with a sequel just as good, or far greater?

The movie does have many excellent factors. The Last Jedi has amazing fight sequences and action that keeps you on the edge of your seat.  There are literally scenes of combat that were intense at moments and left me wanting more. This movie also has excellent returning characters from the old and new films including great arcs for Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Kylo Ren, and Poe Dameron. This new entry into the Star Wars saga succeeded at accomplishing the amazing world-building that can be found in almost every film of the series. The film shines at bringing in amazing cinematography and visuals you can almost taste.

Despite the films good portions, there are quite a few problems. For one the film is lengthy and drags on just a little too long for my taste.  It also contains a lot of pointless scenes that really go no where at all and equally pointless characters that just are there to further some blurry message that an eagle wouldn’t be able to see even if it was right in front of him. Characters like Finn and Rey are given very little arc or character development as in they really don’t change as people as they more or less stay the same. Finally, what this film lacks is the same feel The Force Awakens had which in this critics opinion is what made that film as good as it was. Instead we have a film that as crazy as it may seem feels more like Star bores than Star Wars.

Despite this film’s faults it still stands as an alright Star Wars entry. While The Last Jedi isn’t as good as some of the other movies it still has some admirable factors like it’s different story elements and beautiful cinematography. So in total review and in my opinion, Star Wars The Last Jedi gets a 6/10 for its good and bad factors.