Logan Paul and His Fame

Joslynn Monroig, Student Life Editor

He has made a heavy appearance in the news recently for his very controversial video in Japan’s “Suicide Forest,” it is none other than Logan Paul.

Paul rapidly shot to fame, and now people are questioning whether he should remain at the top. How did Paul gain his stardom, and how has he handled it? Let’s find out.

Related image

Logan Paul in his Maverick merch

Logan Alexander Paul is a 22 year old vlogger and actor from Westlake, Ohio. He gained his fame from the app Vine, and when the app ended Paul then moved to YouTube where he began posting daily vlogs. Paul ventured into acting, where he landed a guest appearance on  Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and the comedic series Weird Loners. As he rapidly gained followers over a short amount of time being on Youtube, he produced a clothing line and brand called “Maverick” inspired by his parrot of the same name. “Maverick” is also how he refers to fanbase along with the “Logang”, which consists of  mostly children and young teens.

Related image

Paul’s apology note.

The “Logang” has stuck by Pauls’ side through thick and thin, but with his recent controversy, some fans aren’t very sure where they stand. Paul recently took a visit to Aokigahara, a forest based at Japan’s Mount Fuji, but is more commonly known as “Suicide Forest.” It has been given this name because the forest is so large and dense, and many go to this forest to end their lives.

Paul and his group of friends went to Aokigahara in attempts to spend the night in the forest but after a short walk into the forest they stumble upon a very upsetting sight; it was the sight of a man who had taken his life.

Paul and his friends then proceeded to get closer to the man, filmed his lifeless body and cracked jokes at the man’s expense. The video was posted to Paul’s YouTube channel and within the hours after the upload, the video went viral and the internet went crazy. Paul states that the video was made to promote suicide awareness, but many say it did anything but.

Manyare saying that the video was disrespectful, offensive, triggering, and numerous people say they were disturbed that young children were exposed to such heavy content. Paul posted a note via Twitter apologizing for his actions in the video, and apologizing for uploading the video, calling it a “mistake” and saying “I wasn’t thinking,”  but the Twitterverse was not satisfied and continued slandering him, which influenced him to post an apology video to Twitter.

It is very important to always be the best you, that you can be, and make the right decisions when in front of people and behind closed doors. Especially when you are a person with power and that is a a platform or following.

Paulprobably could’ve handled the situation better than he did, but the fact of the the matter is that he can’t go back and fix it, it’s now about how he handles tricky situations in the future. It is always necessary for Paul and those like him to guide those who follow them in the right direction, when making important choices, or when it comes down to it, just being a good person. When given a big platform on any social media that many young children and young teens look up to, like Paul and my other YouTubers, it is very Image result for suicide preventionimportant that they use your platform for good. If the goal is to promote suicide awareness, then a better video to  make might be a sit-down video talking about therapy and hotlines that are available to call, not filming a person who lost his battle with mental health. It is always important to spread positivity and love, not negativity and hate. If you or anyone you know is struggling with mental health issues, just know that you’re not alone, and it’s okay to reach out for help.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255