CV Mixed Varsity Choir Sings with EMU Choir

Ranaya Gilliam, Copy Editor

On January 20th, Chippewa Valley’s very own Mixed Varsity Choir had the opportunity to sing with Eastern Michigan University’s Choir. Mr. Pecar, director of the CVMV Choir, and Dr. Johnson, the director of the EMU Choir, communicated throughout the summer to set a time and place for the two choirs to come together. “Our choir is known throughout the state of Michigan for performing at prestigious events and colleges like to work with students who have experience at playing at high levels” explained Pecar. “Multiple colleges contacted us during the summer in order to use a combined concert as a recruitment tool for experienced musicians in our choir.”

Courtesy of Mr. Pecar

The Valley’s choir sang “City Called Heaven”, “Let My Love Be Heard”, and “Moonlight Sound Design”. “City Called Heaven” featured a lot of soloists and was chosen because the venue was at a church and the song was very spiritual, “Let My Love Be Heard” was chosen because the choir connected a lot with the piece throughout the school year, and “Moonlight Sound Design” required a rare instrument that was built in Vietnam and shipped here called a hang. The choir also sang the song at the State Honors Concert and featured two soloists that lit up the church with their angelic-like voices. Both choirs sang “Indodana” together, which was originally planned for the Chippewa Valley Autism Concert, but it was a fun piece for both choirs to share.

Nina Gocaj, a senior in the CVMV, was one of the soloists featured and had two solos throughout the concert during the pieces “Cied der Mignon” and “The Year’s at the Spring”. “I chose Nina for the solos because she worked hard all year and I felt she deserved to show off her voice. Also, I knew that she would be up to the challenge of having a solo in front of a big college choir and her voice was beautiful in the church” Mr. Pecar commented. Gocaj has been in choir for several years and felt confident during her solos based off of Mr. Pecar’s opinion of her and she trusted her voice and was happy to have the opportunity to portray her confidence. “Performing with the EMU’s Choir was a really cool experience. The CV members were observant and were eager to learn from a more experienced choir” Gocaj stated. “I definitely plan on singing in college. I might minor in music theory too, but in the end, I just want to keep my passion and happiness from music in my life outside of high school.”

The combined concert was a success for both choirs and both parties had an amazing time performing together. Congratulations to both directors, Dr. Johnson and Mr. Pecar, for putting together a great show and special congratulations to Nina Gocaj for working hard towards performing her solos with confidence.

Courtesy of Mr. Pecar