The History and the Events of the 2018 Grammy Awards

The first ceremony for the Grammy Awards show was held May 4th, 1959. This ceremony was created to award artists for their musical accomplishments and performers of the year. The Grammy’s hold a voting contest that put these artists through a series of voting polls to determine who is the winner.

The purpose of the Grammy Awards is to select the musical industries most prestigious artists and award them for the musical talents that they have. With a Grammy comes with a money reward. In 2012, Bruno Mars was the number one award winner. His paycheck went from $130,000 to $202,000.

There are over 80+ awards to be given out this special night. some of the categories include: Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best New Artist, Best Dance/Electronic Album, etc.

The 2018 Grammy awards took place on Sunday, January 28, 2018 in New York City’s, Madison Square Garden. Alessia Cara won Best New Artist and received quite the backlash over it. Cara was the only girl to win a Grammy for the 2018 Award show and was receiving multiple angles of hate because of it. Alessia had no control of it, knowing you cannot nominate yourself or control being the winner of a category.

The Grammy’s is a show more for award nominations, rather any other musical act. Music performances are kept minimal but still exist. This year’s lineup included: Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, Kesha, Bruno Mars with Cardi B, and SZA.

James Corden was the host for the 60th annual Grammy Award show. Known for his carpool karaoke, Corden put a NYC spin on it while hosting the awards show. The edition was called “Subway Carpool Karaoke.” A clip was shown of him, sting, and shaggy boarding a New York City train and trying to entertain passengers with his renditions of “Every Breath You Take,” by Police, and “It Wasn’t Me,” by Shaggy. They did not enjoy the musical interruption.

The 2018 Grammy Award show was a rollercoaster of emotions, from controversy on whether or not Alessia Cara should have won, to James Corden’s funny act of “Subway Karaoke.” To see the winner for all of the categories or any further information visit the links below.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8096569/grammys-2018-winners-list

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/bruno-mars-alessia-cara-times-12-big-moments-2018-grammys