Larry Nassar and His Vicious Path of Destruction

Joslynn Monroig, Student Life Editor

Larry Nassar has had a heavy news presence recently based on what he has done; but who is Larry Nassar and what exactly has he done? Let’s find out.

Larry Nassar began working at North Farmington High School as an athletic trainer with the women’s gymnastics team in 1978. Later on in 1986, Nassar began working as an athletic trainer for the USA Gymnastics National Team. In 1993, he graduated from the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine as a doctor. Nassar went on to complete his residency training in family practice at St. Lawrence Hospital. In 1997, he completed a fellowship in sports medicine and began working as an assistant professor at MSU’s Department of Family and Community Medicine in the College of Medicine.

In 2015, USA Gymnastics ended their relations with Nassar “after learning of athlete concerns.” In September 2016, The Indianapolis Star stated that two former gymnasts had accused Nassar of sexual abuse, and MSU fired him near the end of September.

ot-gymnasticsfd.jpg

Pictured from left, Jeanette Antolin, Jessica Howard and Jamie Dantzsche.

In February 2017, three former gymnasts, Jessica Howard, Jeanette Antolin, and Jamie Darntzsche, gave an interview with 60 Minutes where they all stated that Nassar had sexually abused them. The gymnasts also stated that the “emotionally abusive environment” at the national team training camps gave Nassar an opportunity to take advantage of the young gymnasts and made the girls afraid to speak up about the abuse. Rachael Denhollander, one of the first women to publicly accuse Nassar, said in court in May 2017 that Nassar sexually abused her on five doctor’s visits in 2000, when she was just 15 years old. During another 60 Minute interview, Olympic gold medalist, Aly Raisman also said that Nassar had sexually abused her, stating that Nassar molested her when she was also only 15 years old. 

Olympic gold medalist McKayla Maroney used the #MeToo movement on Twitter to state that Nassar molested her time and time again, starting when she was only 13 years old and until she retired from the gymnastics in 2016. Maroney has filed a lawsuit against Nassar, Michigan State University, the United States Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics.

Image result for olympic larry nassar

McKayla Maroney and Larry Nassar.

In November 2016, Nassar was charged with numerous counts of sexual assault of a child from 1998 to 2005. The crimes began when the victim was six years old, and ultimately, he was charged with 22 counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with minors.

Image result for larry nassar victims in court

A handful of Nassar’s victims.

Nassar was arrested by the FBI in December 2016 after agents found more than 37,000 images of child pornography and a video of Nassar molesting underage girls. On April 6, 2017, his medical license was revoked for three year. On July 11, 2017, Nassar pleaded guilty to receiving child pornography in 2004, possession of pornographic images of children dating from 2004 to 2016, and tampering with evidence by destroying and concealing the images. On December 7, 2017, sentenced Nassar to 60 years in federal prison.

On November 22, 2017, Nassar pleaded guilty to seven counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with minors under the age of sixteen. He admitted molesting seven girls, three of which were under the age of thirteen. On November 29, he pleaded guilty to an additional three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

As of January 18, 2018, 135 women had accused Nassar of sexual assault while he worked for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University. During the following week, the number rose to 150.

Image result for judge in larry nassar case

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina.

On January 24, 2018, Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced Nassar to 40 to 175 years in prison for the sexual assault of minors. Aquillina allowed Nassar’s accusers to present extended victim impact statements and dismissed objections raised to this move by Nassar, In sentencing, the judge informed Nassar that he had missed numerous chances to receive treatment for his sexual urges; she added that there were likely dozens of additional victims who had not come forward. In ending her speech, she had made it very clear that she did not intend for Nassar to ever be free again.

On January 31, 2018, a Michigan judge stated that thus far 265 girls had accused him of sexual misconduct.

Image result for larry nassar jail

Nassar and his team of lawyers.

On February 5, 2018, Judge Janice Cunningham sentenced Nassar to 40 to 125 years in prison for the three counts of criminal sexual assault to which he had pleaded guilty to in November of 2017. Nassar apologized for his years of abuse, saying the impact his victims’ statements had on him “pales in comparison” to the suffering he inflicted on them. Cunningham was not phased by what Nassar said, and expressed this by saying that she believed Nassar was still in “denial” about the “devastating impact” of his crimes.

Overall, what Nassar has done to countless children who are now grown women is unforgivable and truly disturbing. Thankfully, he is finally behind bars. He will never have a chance to hurt another child again.