City Bakery

Carla Perkins, Feature Editor

The famous cafe featured in Sex in The City, City Bakery, has opened in a new location: Detroit. Known for its hot chocolate, City Bakery offers coffee, baked goods, lunch specials, and more. The shop opened in the Fisher Building just last month, and the Tomahawk headed downtown to try it out for ourselves.

Seniors Victoria Pettey, Nina Gojcaj, and myself took a trip to Detroit to visit, and each of us tried the baked goods and renowned hot chocolate. “It was very good, it tasted like it was made from scratch,” Pettey described the beloved seasonal drink.

After taste-testing gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and brownie bottoms, we snapped a few pictures and explored the rest of Fisher Building, which is currently being restored and modernized. The Tomahawk gives both the food and the architecture a ten out of ten.

“They have a great variety of bakery items, and you can either just stop by for a coffee or spend an entire afternoon at the Fisher,” Gojcaj stated reflecting on the experience.

City Bakery’s location in such a historic building is significant to all of the other restoration projects happening downtown. The Fisher houses a variety of unique shops, a theater, and beautiful mosaics for the photographer or sight-seer. It has something for anyone, and the cultural center is only just beginning its reconstruction. More shops are expected to open in the future years to come.