Movie Review: Black Panther

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

During the summer of 1966, comic creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced a character to further diversify and change their highly successful marvel comics forever: that character was the Black Panther. Black Panther soon gained a large following as the years went by and became known as one of the defining African American icons in comics. 52 years later, the massive Marvel studios, (owned by Disney), aims to do something similar and release their first superhero movie starring a black protagonist. But will this new and unique character be properly adapted to screen and live up to the classic comic, or does it simply fall into obscurity as another movie with enormous amounts of unused potential?

To begin, lets discuss the story. The movie’s plot follows the newly crowned King T’challa: the defender of the the hidden African nation of Wakanda, and his transition into becoming the ancient warrior known as the black panther. But what makes this movie unique? The film runs with its African location and goes all out exploring the culture and infusing it with the design of the futuristic Wakanda and its people.What also stands out is theinteresting characters, but no character is as the great as the antagonist, the militaristic extremist known as Erik Killmonger, who is created with an almost palpable amount of depth. It’s thanks to the great atmosphere, characters, culture, and surprisingly stellar score that makes this a very different and memorable Marvel movie.

While there are a lot of good and unique factors in this movie there are some small problems. One problem includes the movies lack of good comedy. While this movie isn’t necessarily a comedy film Marvel has been set to a standard at this point to at least crack a joke here and there and while this film does have humor it doesn’t exactly always hit bullseye. Secondly, this film while having a lot of different action scenes the movie contains a good portion of dialogue scenes which isn’t a problem it mostly just limits some of the films potential for more creative action scenes. The last problem with this film mostly stems from the lack of character-depth that is put into T’challa. While he still is a good and entertaining protagonist, he could greatly benefit from a little more development.

Black Panther is a culturally unique Marvel movie filled with creativity, beautiful scenery, and a surprising commentary on certain political conflicts. The movie provides an interesting look into these conflicts and scenes that give the story layers. In conclusion, Black Panther is a unique telling of a heroes journey with a vast amount of culture intertwined into a sort of melting pot marvel movie and gains an overall score of 9/10.