Back to Article
Back to Article

Hannah Monks, Copy Editor

The Variety Show is a Talent Show run by CVHS which took place both March 1st and 2nd at 7pm.

The Talent Show here at the Valley is nothing new. In fact, it’s been around for quite sometime, but as of two years ago, math teacher, Ms. Rossi, has been running it.

“It’s always fun to see all of the different talent in the students. Especially the students that you would never expect could sing or dance or have an unexpected talent.” Rossi commented. “It’s impressive, it’s exciting, it’s all about

Ms. Rossi, directing their Monday practice after school

learning. I learned a lot of information about tech crew and about staging last year that have helped me run an even better show this year.” Ms. Rossi, full of excitement, calls each individual student up for their performance rehearsal. Everything was extremely organized as if she had been doing this for years.

The practice was invigorating, watching all of the students show off their talent. The raw emotion radiating off of their performance oozed out of each student.

Tons of people had the exact same reaction. “Excitement,” one participant, David Volpini, said after being asked how he was feeling about the show, “I’m so excited to show my talent.”

Volpini had participated in his school district’s variety show one other time: elementary school. “In first grade, I sang “All Star” by Smash Mouth. I killed it.”

Ten whole years later, this junior was ready to show how much he had improved. “I have some original songs that I’ve made. They were played on my little ukulele.” Volpini is proud of how much he has improved. Especially the fact that he has learned how to play two very different instruments. Alto saxophone and ukulele are from two very different families, and being able to master both of them is an achievement in and of itself.

“When I found out I won, it was such an adrenaline rush, i was so shocked and happy. It was crazy.”

Volpini leaving the after school practice, keeping his ukulele with him at all times.

Choir student Marianna Newton had shown off her set of lungs by singing a song from a recent musical, Dear Evan Hansen (DEH). The main plot of the story, taken from the DEH official site, “A letter that was never meant to be seen, a lie that was never meant to be told, a life he never dreamed he could have…”

The song she sang is called Waving Through a Window, sung by the main protagonist, talking [singing] about how he is an unnoticed person in his school life, and questions if anyone can actually see him without actually talking to him. “On the outside, always looking in. Will I ever be more than I’ve ever been? Cuz I’m watch, watch, watching people pass; waving through a window..”

“I’m probably looking forward to hearing everyone else sing the most.” Newton said. “I’m nervous, but pretty ecstatic, or maybe thrilled. Honestly I’m just really nervous about putting myself out there and going in front of people to sing, but I’m also excited to hear how everyone else sounds.”

Newton may not have won in the talent show, but doing what she did was a major accomplishment for her. “Having anxiety is different for everyone. For me, it feels like people stare down at me. I hear a stranger laughing and think, oh, it’s about me. It’s my hair, it’s my walk, it’s my red cheeks,” she shared, “The variety show helped me out because it made me feel like the people like what they see and hear. They’re not laughing at me, they’re laughing with me.”