CVHS Choir Takes On Hamilton

Since the first time I heard the soundtrack, I have been obsessed with Hamilton. Hamilton came out during my freshman year and I immediately fell in love. Incorporating hip-hop and rap in a Broadway musical is one of the reasons the music and lyrics so intriguing and unique. Being a musical theater nerd myself, Hamilton stands out from the rest of my personal favorites, blowing the world away with R&B ballads and rap battles, it is no surprise that Hamilton snagged the Tony for best musical.

My junior year, I was given the opportunity to see this iconic musical in Chicago, and I know I could not pass it up. Chippewa’s choir director, James Pecar, put so much together to make the trip happen—having sleepless nights trying to organize the bus arrangements, planning the day down to each hour—just to perfect our experience.

Mid-winter break finally came along, and everyone woke up at 4 in the morning in order to get to the school and onto the buses on time.  We were ready for the 6 hour bus ride to see our favorite musical.

As we arrived to the CIBC theater, it became more and more believable that we are about to experience the same musical that we have been obsessing over for three years. When we finally took our seats, you could practically feel the adrenaline radiating off of each of us. Before long, the lights dimmed and the first chord was heard.

The vibe of the theater during the show was simply exhilarating, everyone was humming along and resisting the urge to dance in their seats as the booming music filled the theater. Hearing professionals bring to life this amazing soundtrack with incredible passion and attention to detail within each song was beyond exciting. The intricate costumes and intense choreography helped add the necessary emotions to each piece of music. Every number is performed with such a full energy—it was impossible to not feel inspired throughout this show.

The 12 hour car ride was completely worth it—being able to see my favorite musical come to life and performed by professionals, seeing what I want to do with my life, and sharing this experience with my friends—I could not have asked for a better experience. I also want to thank Mr. Pecar for putting it all together and everyone else involved in helping us get into The Room Where It Happens.