How to Prepare For AP Tests

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Prepare For AP Tests

Hannah Nelson, Staff Writer

Chippewa Valley High School offers many Advanced Placement (AP) classes, anywhere from AP Literature and AP US History. AP classes are great for many reasons, they prepare students for college and help many people save money by obtaining credits for college. In order to obtain college credit AP students are expected to pass the AP test with usually a 3 or higher. AP tests can be very difficult and hard to prepare for. Here are a few tips and tricks to use while studying for AP tests.

To begin preparing for your final test it is best to figure out exactly what material needs to be reviewed the most.  The best way to begin is with old material first because new material is still fresh in your memory, while old material could have easily been forgotten. Many AP testing articles say that you should focus on the chapter you struggled in most because those are the topics that will hurt your grade the most on the test.

While studying for AP tests students tend to forget to approach new material with the AP test in mind. It is important to also thoroughly learn the new material so that you do not have to review for it much before the test.

Another way to ensure success on the final test is to try practice tests. College board offers practice tests for all AP classes offered at Chippewa. College Board also provides all the information you need to know for the AP exams. Including the dates and times of the test, the cost, and scoring guidelines.

Another way to prepare for the exam is by making a review schedule. Setting aside a few minutes everyday to study and review material will give students a better chance at receiving college credit. Making a schedule with set reminders and actually sticking to your plan will guarantee a better grade on the exam.

A mistake students make often is overly relying on their high school teachers. Sometimes teachers do not have enough time to get to every detail in a chapter. Teachers usually cover most material, but it is important to go back in your book and review to ensure that all possible material on the test will be studied.

AP tests can be stressful if you do not give yourself enough time to prepare. The exam wont be as overwhelming if you take one thing at a time. If you follow these tips and start early you will surely do well.