Central Shooting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Central Shooting

Hannah Nelson, Staff Writer

Central University is a well known college located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Many Chippewa Valley High School students plan to attend Central in the fall. Some students may change their minds due to a recent shooting that look place in Campbell hall on March 2nd. After the gun shots were fired the police were immediately contacted. The bodies of James Davis (48) and Diva Davis (48) were found on the floor of their sons dorm room. After a 16 hour manhunt  James Eric Davis Jr. was taken into custody for the murder of his parents.

James Davis Jr was pointed out by a conductor and found near train tracks close to campus. Authorities state that the shooter was “hypothermic and not making sense when he was found.” James was immediately taken to the hospital.

Before the shooting James Jr. called the dormitory community the morning of the shooting. James told the officer that he was scared because someone was out to get him. Davis stated that the man had a gun and wanted to hurt him. Davis would not give out any names or details, but after continuous questioning James Jr. gave a name. The supposed threat was contacted and interviewed. The threat had no weapons registration and was not aware of the threat associated with him.

Later on that day the officer suspected that Davis Jr. was on drugs when he came out of his dorm around 1 a.m. with suitcases and luggage. The officer then called Diva Davis to tell her of his odd behavior. Diva and her husband decided to come up to the campus to check on him. Gun shots were fired the next morning and the bodies of Diva Davis and James Davis were found on the floor of a dorm room in Campbell hall.

James Davis Jr.  has been taken into custody and is being questioned for the murder of his parents. This incident is the first for Central University. They are offering extra counselors to the returning students and paying closer attention to the security of the campus. The family and victims are in our prayers.