90th Oscars Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

90th Oscars Review

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

For 90 years, the academy has been nominating the best of the best. The Oscars have been viewed as the highest award show in the film world, and as a right of passage that allows a film, actor, actress, etc. to transcend from great to iconic. Given this being the 90th anniversary of this classic award show, people anticipated this being a big event, capitalizing on the weight that truly comes with 90 years. With Jimmy Kimmel returning as the host, everyone wondered if these Oscars would truly live up to the excitement that was built up.

Firstly, let’s discuss what was good about this year’s Oscars ceremony, because trust me when I say there wasn’t that much to appreciate. Over the years, the Oscars have been infamous for pairing up celebrities with very little chemistry to announce the awards, an example being Anne Hathaway and James Franco. But this year I’m happy to say that that most of the pairings were very clever. Good pairs like Lupita Nyong’o and Kumail Nanijani, Maya Rudolph and Tiffany Haddish, and even Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence stole the show with their clever and hilarious performances. Secondly, this ceremony actually had a lot of good movies this year along with satisfying winners that truly deserved the Oscar. Guillermo Del Toro was a fitting win for best director as his movie, The Shape Of Water, won two Oscars already and he has been making critically acclaimed films for years. “Remember Me” from the film Coco was an excellent choice for best original song as was Gary Oldman for best actor for his performance in Darkest Hour. Almost all of the winners this year were satisfactory and are what I truly think matters in the end.

Unfortunately this year’s Oscars had a very large issue that could have been easily avoided. While I know my opinion may be controversial, the truth is that the 90th Oscars were ruined by politics and Jimmy Kimmel. The entire ceremony was a political melting pot displaying every single fault in our president/government along with making sure to touch on every single social, racial, or sexual problem under the sun. While I believe it is right to address these problems, they should be addressed in moderation and not forcefully shoved in your face every second. Lastly, Kimmel’s attempt at humor could be more likened to road kill than brilliant comedy as he constantly panders to every single audience.

I feel a great sense of disappointment this year as the 90th Oscars have turned out to be nothing more than a political ceremony with movie awards thrown in. What was truly wrong with this years ceremony was that it lacked the understanding that the Oscars are not about politics they are about the art of film. One can only hope that this less than stellar misstep will allow the academy to learn and make the beautiful art of movies the center of the Oscars as it should always be.