10 Upcoming Disney Sequels/Remakes

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

For 94 years, The Walt Disney Company has been distributing imagination to millions of people everywhere through their multitude of animated films. Recently, Disney has been feeding into the nostalgia train of movies appearing in recent years with remakes and sequels of their classic movies. With a remake of Beauty and the Beast already released, there’s no telling how many could be upcoming, but for the moment, here are ten remakes and sequels to Disney films set to be filmed and released soon.

1.) Incredibles 2 (June 15, 2018)  So far what we know from the trailers is that this anticipated sequel follows Mr. Incredible as he becomes a stay at home dad while his wife, Elasti-girl, is recruited by a wealthy business mogul to bring superheroes back into the spotlight.

2.) Christopher Robin (August 3, 2018) This fascinating film takes place years after the many adventures of Winnie the pooh and follows an adult Christopher Robin (played by Ewan Mcgregor) as he reunites with his companions from the 100 acre woods to rediscover his inner child (similar to Spielberg’s film “Hook“).

3.) Mary Poppins Returns (December 25, 2018)  Thanks to the intriguing trailer that was released at the 90th Oscars we were able to take a glimpse at the grandly toned sequel to Mary Poppins. The sequel sees the return of Mary Poppins (now played by Emily Blunt) as she reunites with the now grown Michael and Jane Banks.

4.) Dumbo (March 29, 2019)  This will be the second outing for Tim Burton remaking a classic Disney film (first being Alice in Wonderland) as he re-imagines the classically optimistic Dumbo film with his iconically creepy style along with the casting choices of Colin Farrel, Michael Keaton, and Danny Devito.

5.) Aladdin (May 24, 2019) Currently, Guy Ritchie is heading the remake of Disney’s action packed Arabic tale with a culturally correct cast, fascinating sets, and Will Smith as the Genie.

6.) Toy Story 4 (June 20, 2019) Unfortunately due to the death of actor Don Rickles and the controversy surrounding the Pixar CEO John Lasseter this film has been somewhat in the dark but it’s apparently still set to release eventually with the return of Buzz and Woody

7.) The Lion King (July 19, 2019) Possibly the most hyped up of the Disney remakes seems to be the highly anticipated Lion King remake with a star studded cast and returning director John Favreau (The Jungle Book).

8.) Mulan (March 27, 2020) While little is confirmed for this remake of the hit film Mulan what we do know is the titular protagonist will be played by Liu Yifei and the film will be much more action packed than the original.

9.) Cruella (Unknown) Fans of La La Land rejoice as Oscar winner Emma Stone has been cast as Cruella Deville in the protagonist role in the origin story flick of one of Disney’s iconic villains.

10) Peter Pan (Unknown) Lastly while practically nothing has been revealed as to the contents to this remake what is known is that Reese Witherspoon is set to play tinkerbell in this film and eventually her own spinoff movie.