Florida vs. The NRA

Carla Perkins, Feature Editor

The debate over gun control continues with Florida’s new controversial laws. The bill includes a raised minimum age from 18 to 21, a three day waiting period before purchasing to conduct a background check, a ban on bump stocks, and changes in schools such as allowing administrators to be armed, school security funding, and mental health services/regulations.

The most controversial change present in the bill is arming school staff members. Most Americans, despite the state they’re from either strongly agree with the bill and are urging politicians to make a change, while others are strongly opposed to the bill as they feel it intrudes on their second amendment right. Mainly students and teachers are pushing for the bill to pass because of safety concerns with America’s school shooting epidemic.

What this bill doesn’t include is a ban on the sales of assault weapons, high capacity magazines, or AR-15’s (the weapon used in the Parkland shooting), which many have been confused about. Right-wingers claim that their guns are being taken from them, their main reasoning for opposing the bill, and that’s just not the case. The bill also does not address strengthening background checks, perhaps one of the most important changes that not just Florida, but America as a whole, should consider making as we move forward.

In response to one of the most recent attacks at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School, #NeverAgain is going viral on Twitter and in real life. A national school walkout day took place on March 14th where students were able to protest gun violence. Since 2018 began, there have been 18 incidents in schools involving gun violence with at least one person shot and injured or killed. Whether you’re a Republican, a Democrat, or anything in between, it is vital that America comes together on this issue and makes a decision, hopefully with our students’ best interest in mind.