Running Into Spring

Back to Article
Back to Article

Running Into Spring

Breanna Murmyluk

It’s the time of year where the students get excited for spring sports! Several options pique their interests, including: tennis, baseball, soccer, and track.

Due to track not having cuts and replacing a gym credit, it seems to draw more attention compared to the other options. However, with the training and immense commitment involved, a small group of around 30 kids tend to drop out before the first meet.

Once knowing what they are in for, 120+ runners usually stick to the team. Five days a week for 2 hours, the athletes are pushed nonstop; except on the week of a meet. During the practices, it is stressed to keep hydrated and to have food in the body. The coach, Mr. Wilson, expresses to the students that in order to be at their best, they need to stay fueled. Just by eating a small snack before practices, meets, and throughout the day, it can significantly impact their performance.

In an interview with the coach himself, he talked about his expectations for the upcoming season:

“My expectations are for my kids to work hard, have fun, and to compete until the last event of every meet.”

Goal-wise, he would just like his kids to grow and improve as time goes on. His own goal, is to personally help the athletes continue to get better.

When asked if he was looking forward to any event in particular, he said it was the first meet. “I always look forward to the first meet because I get to see how our kids have trained during the off season and pre-season.”

After the first meet, he then knows what to expect of everyone and how they are going to perform. There tends to be a trend in the outcome of the athletes if they trained before the official start date of practices. The students who went to conditioning and practiced by themselves are the ones to have fewer injuries and excel more.

Monday of this week was the team’s first practice. Their first meet is scheduled for April 11th. With that in mind, make sure to go out and cheer on the runners! After all, it would be nice for their fellow peers to support their hard work. Along with going to events, there is track-wear available for purchase if you want to rep your favorite runners on the team.