The Anniversary of Notorious B.I.G’s Death

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joslynn Monroig, Student Life Editor

March 9th is a regular day for most, but for the family, friends, and fans of Christopher George Latore Wallace, more commonly know as Biggie Smalls or Notorious B.I.G, it is the day of his tragic death. This past March 9th was the 21st anniversary of his unfortunate passing so let’s take the time to reflect on his life and success.

Image result for christopher wallace as a child

Wallace was born on May 21st, 1972 in Brooklyn, New York. He was given the childhood nickname of “Big” due to being a plump child, and with that he was no stranger to a troubled childhood. At the age of twelve he began selling drugs, and his family had no idea about it, even though he was doing it right under their noses. Wallace quit school and began heavily focusing on the “drug business” and consequently was soon in trouble with the law. After being arrested on weapons-possession charges, he received a five-year probationary sentence in 1989. In 1990, he was arrested for violating that probation, and in 1991, he was charged with dealing cocaine and spent nine months in jail while waiting to make bail, and he was only 19.

Before jail time, he thoroughly enjoyed rapping to entertain the people in his neighborhood, but once he got out he began really indulging in his rapping interest. Wallace made a demo tape as Biggie Smalls, named after a gang leader from the 1975 movie Let’s Do It Again and a tribute to his childhood nickname. He had no serious plans Image result for sean combs and biggie smallsto pursue a career in music,”It was fun just hearing myself on tape over beats,” he said in an Arista Records biography. Somehow his demo tape made its way to The Source magazine, who were thoroughly impressed that they profiled Wallace in their Unsigned Hype column in March 1992. After that, Biggie was invited to record with other unsigned rappers, which came to the attention of Sean “Puffy” Combs, who is an A&R executive and producer: and after a fallout with his old boss Combs went to set up his own label, Bad Boy Records, and mid-1992 Biggie had joined him. June 1993, Wallace had his big break  when the label released The Notorious BIG’s first single as a solo artist, “Party and Bulls**t.”

Shortly after the album was released, Wallace shot to fame. The album, Ready to Die, was certified gold within less Image result for biggie ready to diethan two months, double-platinum the following year, and eventually quadruple-platinum. “Big Poppa,” the second of the album’s four singles, was nominated for a Grammy for best rap solo performance. Wallace was wildly applauded for the resurgence of East Coast hip hop.

Wallace met his soon to be wife, Faith Evans, on a photoshoot and married her a few short days after on August 4th, 1994, and she gave birth to their son, Christopher “CJ” Wallace Jr. on October 29, 1996.

Not long after his rise to fame he became friends with Tupac Amaru Shakur, more commonly known as just Tupac, and this was the long beginning of the end. They had their differences because of their record labels but what sparked their infamous feud what the shooting of Shakur. Tupac Shakur was shot five times during a robbery in a recording-studio lobby in New York and he believed that Wallace and Combs were behind it.  A few short years later, on September 7, 1996, his former friend Tupac Shakur was shot dead in Las Vegas. No one has ever been charged for the murder, but as a result of the ongoing East Coast/West Coast rap drama that Wallace and Shakur’s rivalry had come to personify, and also of Shakur publicly blaming Wallace and Combs for his non-fatal shooting in 1994, there were numerous people who truly believed that Wallace was behind Shakur’s murder.

Not even a year later the music industry suffered another serious loss, Wallace was murdered the early hours of theImage result for biggie smalls and tupac morning on March 9, 1997. It happened shortly after he left a Vibe magazine party at the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. As Wallace’s SUV waited at a red light, a vehicle pulled up alongside it, and a gunman opened fire. His bodyguard, who was in the car with him, rushed Wallace to the hospital, but it was already too late, the rap legend had already passed away.

Just like Tupac Shakur’s murder, Christopher Wallace’s murder has also never been solved. There has been many conspiracies and allegations on who committed the crimes, but regardless off, the music industry have lost two legends and there was just the permanent questions that still lingers today and that is why.

As the anniversary of Notorious B.I.G.’s death has come and gone again it is a time for friends, family, and fans to come together appreciate the time that he was walking on this Earth and the incredible music that he created. Rest in Peace Christopher Wallace, may you forever remain a rapping legend.