Historic Meeting Between President Trump, North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un In the Works

Anthony Cardamone, Editor

The United States and North Korea have been feuding for decades over nuclear weapons and the differing values of the two countries. North Korea, strongly anti-American, has conducted a number of nuclear tests on weapons they say can reach the west coast of the U.S. America has thousands of troops stationed on the North-South Korea border constantly monitoring North Korea.

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un have traded insults since the election of Trump, and tensions rose after an American citizen died after being imprisoned by North Korea, but now the two leaders are close to a historic meeting.

Trump accepted an offer from South Korea’s national security adviser, Chung Eui-yong, to meet Kim in May after a visit by his delegation to the Pyongyang Winter Olympics. No American President has met with a North Korean leader since the Korean War, and this decision has shocked diplomats and experts.

“The two leaders agreed that concrete actions, not words, will be the key to achieving permanent denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” the White House said, “and President Trump reiterated his intention to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by the end of May.”

This potential meeting is a breakthrough for both sides, as North Korea grows closer to international recognition and for the United States, the elimination of a threat from North Korea. Many experts, however, are concerned what could happen if the meeting does not go well and aren’t in favor of giving North Korea international recognition.

While the meeting is being planned, strong sanctions against North Korea and joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea will remain in place.

“Kim Jong Un talked about denuclearization with the South Korean Representatives, not just a freeze. Also, no missile testing by North Korea during this period of time. Great progress being made but sanctions will remain until an agreement is reached,” Trump tweeted March 9th. “Meeting being planned!”