Ranaya Gilliam, Copy Editor

“I am a teacher first and a director second.”

Pictured above: Mr. Hoey conducting his Symphonic Band

Mr. Timothy Hoey is Chippewa Valley High School’s band director and is the head of Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Music Seminar, and the Big Reds Marching Band.

Before he started his journey as a band director, Mr. Hoey was a “big-time band geek” and played trombone in his high school band. After high school, he went on to study Marine Biology at Michigan State University, but by the end of his freshman year of college, he decided to switch his major to music studies. “I was always interested in teaching, but I knew that I would only want to teach music. After being in band for so long and watching my high school director, I thought being a band director would be the easiest job ever.” Hoey soon realized that there was a long journey ahead of him before becoming a director.

Pictured above: a glimpse of Mr. Hoey’s many accomplishments from the past 20 years.

After graduating from MSU, Mr. Hoey moved on to Eastern Michigan University and studied there for 2 years for his Master’s Degree in music education, and after 7 years of college education, Hoey was ready to be a band director and pursue his music career. His past jobs ranges from Southern California High School, Newbury Park High School, Novi High School, and he was the marching band director at Washington State. Eventually, Hoey found his way to CVHS and has stayed here for the past 20 years.

After being a director for the past 35 years, Hoey realized that there is a difference between being a director and being a conductor. “Conductors mostly care about having their name etched all over the ensemble. They make the show all about them” explained Hoey. “A director cares about the music, and more importantly, his ensemble members. If anyone wants to get into the music education business, be sure to come in with the attitude of a director and have a genuine love for music and you will have a long career.” Mr. Hoey stresses that being a teacher first and being a director second is key for having a successful ensemble and music career. “This is a lifelong learning job. The students constantly teach me new things just as much as I teach them. It’s great.”