Motown Wordfest

Alyssa Marion, Staff Writer

A place where poets, singers, rappers, and even recorder players can come together and show their talents. Spring is in the air, and Motown Wordfest is finally here.

Much like Rock the Mic, Motown Wordfest is a place where people can show off their poetry, singing, and writing talents. We had many returning faces and also many new ones such as Kira Wiegand performing original poetry, Grace Anderson singing “Death of a Bachelor”, Mariana Newton who performed a very emotional poem, and Daniella Dinito who also read poetry.

Mrs. Martin, the head of writer’s club, said that “It [Motown Wordfest] is an awesome space and people enjoy seeing their peers outside of class and it gives them a chance to experience their different talents and gives them a new appreciation for them.”

Anna Hart, the president of writer’s club,  is not a new face to the stage but a welcomed one all the same. Hart performed a poem about the anxiousness one can feel and said ” [I] know a lot of people have the same feeling and just want them to know they’re not alone.” When asked what it was like performing she said “It was kind of scary and intimidating, but whatever.”

David Volpini, a returning face to the stage and a crowd favorite, performed three original comedic songs. Savannah Homan commented saying ” I think in a few years David’s going to be the next Bo Burnham.” She is not the only one to think this as others interviewed expressed the same opinion.

Savannah Homan also performed a song, “Lifeboat” from Heathers the Musical. When asked what made her perform despite her anxiety about it she said “I love performing despite my stage fright and want to share what I am able to do.” Homan also share a poem called “War” that she had written previously for a creative writing assignment but liked so much that she decided to share.

Mrs. Martin said “Even with all the spring sports and activities I was happy to see that so many people  showed up.” Motown Wordfest was a  big success and people can’t wait to see what others have planned for next year.