March is National Women’s Month

Ranaya Gilliam, Copy Editor

Do you know what it means to be a woman? Do you know what it’s like to be looked at as the “lesser gender?”

Being a woman is not always easy. We had to fight for rights that any human being should naturally be granted. We had doors shut in our faces and had to open a window just to get a shot at opportunities. We have to deal with slut shaming or being called prudes based off what we wear and deal with social media planting sickening images of women starving and damaging themselves just to show us what a woman should look like instead of being taught to love ourselves for what we are. We have to deal with being constantly silenced; we keep our thoughts to ourselves and keep our heads down until we show the world why they shouldn’t forget about us.

After countless times of trying to get our voices heard with the Women’s Rights Movement in 1848, we were finally seen as regular human beings. But we still weren’t seen as equals to the male gender, and to this day, we still aren’t seen as equal. We are still considered a “weaker” species, we still don’t get equal pay, we still can’t do the same things men can do without being looked at like we’re crazy or “unladylike.” Well I think that it’s time to put an end to this. We should all be equal, we should be able to do and say the same things without being judged, and the U.S Congress had the same mindset as I do.

In 1987, March was officially declared National Women’s Month. Women use this month to shout their voices across the world. We march, we protest, and we spread love. We show that we do not want to be the dominant gender, we just want equality. We take the hardships that we had to endure, such as the #MeToo Movement that dealt with sexual assault, and learn from them. And even though we put a huge dent in history and showed the world that we exist, we still have a lot to work on. Our schools does not acknowledge this national month for reasons unknown, but it’s time to put a change to that. We need to teach our young ladies their values while they’re still in school and show them just how bright their future could be. It’s time that we all start celebrating this month and take part in making our lives more equal.

Happy National Women’s Month everyone!