Queer Eye Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Queer Eye Review

Brooke Dobbs, Staff Writer

Originally “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” was a television show that aired in 2003 on Bravo. This show won a Grammy for being so good and even had a spin-off called “Queer Eye for the Straight Girl.” This TV show had so many fans that there was a ridiculous amount of merchandise and money being brought into the franchise.

In January 2017, Netflix announced the “fab five” were coming back with a new season. This season aired February 7, 2018.The new season consists of 8 episodes with a makeover-esque feel to them. 5 queer men have submissions of people who need and deserve a new look.

Bobby Berk, also known as “Interior Design,” works with the person to give their home a whole new look. Karamo Brown is known as “Culture.” He makes sure the person is comfortable and tries to get them in touch with their roots. In addition, he provides mental health support. Tan France is “Fashion.” He makes sure the person is comfortable in the style he hopes to put on them and doesn’t give them a whole new look; just an upgrade from their old look which is what they deserve.

Antoni Porowski is “Food!” He makes sure the person is eating healthy and not eating out at restaurants too often. Porowski teaches them how to cook for themselves and keep it healthy. Finally, Van Ness is “Grooming.” Sometimes all a person needs to look better is a new haircut, beard-trim, or hair style! He makes sure the person is comfortable and confident.

Netflix never releases ratings or information regarding the content of a movie or TV show, but I guess this new season was an exception. Bella Bajaria, the head of unscripted content for Netflix says, “All of the cultural conversation and all the social media has increased every week,” referring to Queer Eye in particular. “And that means people are feeling an emotional connection, and they want to share it. That doesn’t always happen.”

To read more about the old cast members and where they are at, head over to:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/queer-eye-original-cast-now?utm_term=.valK8n4Vl#.lnWwao5ZG