Movie Review: Ready Player One

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

During the summer of 2017 Blockbuster director, Steven Spielberg , released the teaser for his adaptation of the book acclaimed as “The holy grail of pop culture” Ready Player One. The book follows the teenager, Wade Watts, in the year 2045 as he enters a virtual reality to find a prize hidden by its now deceased creator. The book is mostly known by many for being immensely imaginative which excited viewers as the film promised audiences an experience unlike any other where they could not only witness stunning visual effects but also an grand and adventurous story. However, the question still remained could Spielberg balance the style and substance of the book or would he fumble it all to an unfortunate failure?

To begin, the film is prone to difficult pacing and with making some of it’s characters interesting (to clarify, that does not mean the characters are bad, they just could have used some more depth). The last issue is that while most novice movie goers can enjoy the film, people who have more knowledge of the pop culture that is being displayed in this film may appreciate it more than others .

In continuation, I will try to simplify what makes this movie not only a great adventure story, but a symbolic tale of society, imagination, and the value of reality. First, the film has a great a control over its balance of style and substance. This allows for an epic storytelling experience with stunning visuals and imagination that never distracts viewers from the story. Secondly, the movie is very cleverly written with funny dialogue, entertaining character, and incredible details/reference old pop culture very nicely (there is also a scene in this movie that will make any horror movie fan bubble with joy). Lastly, one of Ready Player One’s strongest assets is it’s messages of friendship,true identity, and how creating an escape is great but the truth is that reality is the only place that’s real.

Personally, this film touched me as a creator. I saw a world of limitless imagination that just made me say “wow”. I highly recommend this movie to everyone as I believe it to be able to touch anybody whether through its visuals, storytelling,characters, or message. Ready Player One is an adventurous dive into a world that stands both in the future and the past, and after thinking I give this film a 9/10 for its amazing cinematography, message, and story that can only be described by the quote of the late Gene Wilder “a world of pure imagination”.