Movie Review: Love, Simon

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: Love, Simon

Bre Murmyluk

We are the same.

A bold statement this movie starts out with. This movie alone is bold; first of it’s kind to be released publicly in theaters. Right after its debut, endless positive commentary started to rise. As a result, ticket sales skyrocketed. Additionally, social media platforms, like Instagram, began hyping up ‘Love, Simon’. This love story has taken countless people by awe in its clever way of bringing up a delicate topic and making it the well-deserved cliche movie the LGBT community long awaited for. 

It starts out with the main character, Simon, a senior in high school. It goes into his life and about how he’s like you and I. Except he has a secret. A secret that he’s had for 4 years that has suffocated him every waking second. His secret? He is gay. Despite being brought up in a loving home and having supportive friends, he still feels as if something is preventing him from coming out. A major contributor is he feels like it is unfair he has to come out. That being gay is something that will make him different or magically change who is he. Later on in the movie, after he comes out to his mum, he states, “Mom. I’m still Simon, the same son you raised.” By him saying this, it sheds light on how people believe after coming out, that you’re no longer the person you use to be; which is a farce. A day after Christmas-which is the day he came out to his family- both his parents respond positively.

Alongside Simon’s journey of coming out, he finds out that another boy in his school is gay after seeing a post online. Immediately, he contacts this boy who chooses to go under the name ‘Blue’. For days, him and Simon exchange emails. Until one day, Martin(an aquatint and school’s mascot), finds the emails and threatens to expose Simon as being gay if he doesn’t get Abby(Simon’s close friend) to go out with him. Following this, Simon fractures his friendships in attempt to keep his sexuality a secret and prevent ‘Blue’ from leaving if the emails are leaked. At one point, Martin posts the emails online when Abby rejects him. In response, Simon uses this as a chance to express himself and make a statement to inspire others. However, Simon’s friends feel betrayed and leave him.

In the end, Simon discovers who his mysterious lover is and regains his friends back.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. Personally, i can relate to some of the struggles, as can many kids. As a teen of the LGBT community, I understand the daily struggles of hearing homophobic jokes and the pressure to fit in. Not only that, but the drowning feeling of hiding one of the biggest part of who we are. Many of us were not as lucky to have a good coming out and have people there to support us like Simon did. I believe this movie has given kids the strength and reassurance they needed to know that they are loved and that they are not alone. This movie will truly brake boundaries and help society move one step closer to being more informed and understanding.