Michigan Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michigan Basketball

Nick Zipay, Staff Writer

Michigan basketball really made their mark during march madness making their way through the bracket into the finals.

The University of Michigan has a very good basketball program coached by John Beilein. With a winning season conference record of 13-5 and overall record of 33-8 Michigan was not expected to make it as far as they did in the Big Ten Tournament. Over the years they have made 27 NCAA tournament appearances, made the final four seven times, and won one championship which was in 1989.

Throughout the tournament Michigan has been known for their tough defense making it tough for teams to shoot threes near the three point arc. “Facing Michigan’s defense has not been easy, either. After last season, Coach John Beilein hired Luke Yaklich, a longtime high school coach in Illinois State, to be Michigan’s defense coordinator. Mentioned The Denver Post. In January the Purdue Boilermakers beat Michigan twice in January, going 23 for 41 from three point range. The boys later watched films to work on their weakness so that they could improve comes playoffs. In the Big Ten tournament the Wolverines learned their lesson and Purdue went 4-17 behind the arc.

Moe Wagner really shinned during the tournament scoring 40 points and grabbing 22 rebounds in just two Final Four games, which helped him to get into the NBA draft. The  NCAA Big Ten Tournament is a way for the players to really shine and show what they are about, playing under pressure with tons of fans watching. Stadiums are jam packed with fans cheering loud.

The wolverines had beaten Loyola Chicago 69-57 in the final four bracket getting them into the finals facing Villanova. Unfortunately Villanova  outscored the Wolverines 79-62. Michigan being a number three seed and Villanova the number one seed. The wolverines will be working hard to make their appearance into the finals comes 2019.