New York’s Musical Talent

Hannah Monks, Staff Writer/Copy Editor

Let’s face it, traveling through New York is on everyone’s bucket list. From Time Square to The Empire State Building, there’s an attraction for everyone. Not to mention the night view of the cityscape is eye-candy to visiting tourists.

One thing that New York is also exceptionally well known for is it’s visual arts. New York is home to Broadway as well as the one and only Metropolitan Opera House. Broadway is world renowned for it’s iconic musicals from the  recent hit Hamilton to the much older musicals such as My Fair Lady.

As a show that has been running since it’s opening night in 1956, it has been executed brilliantly ever since to catch the eyes and ears of the audience.

Disclaimer: as an opinion based article, it is evident that not everyone likes on stage performances or song-based story lines.

My Fair Lady is a classic tale told in the perspective of a Cockney flower girl (Cockney being the place of where her accent comes from; called Bow-bell Cockneys in London), Eliza Doolittle. She is belittled by a man, Dr. Higgins, who studies phonetics, telling her that speaking properly truly separates the social classes. Doolittle and Higgins are followed on their journey through a bet from one of Higgins’ colleagues that he can’t change the way Doolittle speaks by the end of six months.

The story telling of this work truly shows the timelessness of the writing. It has a style unlike any musical written this day and age. It was executed very well and got it’s point accross fairly quickly, meaning that there was not much fooling around before getting to the main plot of the musical.

Of course, if it has a fast paced beginning, there’s bound to be a fast paced middle or end. In this case, it’s not so much the story rather than the characters that hurt my opinion of this. On stage is very difficult because you don’t have auto tune and you don’t get to be in front of a camera doing multiple takes before you get it right. The audience is a musical cast’s camera, and they don’t get multiple takes. Because of this, there were things that could be better. Some of the characters overlapped lines the slightest bit and got a little too fast for it to make sense. Being in a play, you shouldn’t sound like you rehearsed lines, it should sound as though you are having a natural unrehearsed conversation with someone, which is where some of the characters fell flat.

Coming from a mostly musical background, I thought the singing and the playing were outstanding. Each vibrato sang by the characters was on point and presented perfectly. The orchestra was my favorite part of the entire musical. Listening to them play was enticing. I listened for the delicate melody and the deep backbone, mostly enforced by the brass.

The story was never caught off track, it stated in it’s lame the whole time. Not knowing how the story played out, I thought that was a major strong point for the story. It kept me watching to the very end, where Doolittle stood her ground against Higgins. I won’t spoil the end, but I can say that I was extremely pleased and I could feel the closure.

In my opinion, everyone should see at least one musical in their life. It truly is an experience that you’ll take with you your whole life.