Death of a Salesman

Nina Gojcaj, Arts & Entertainment Editor

On April 13th and 14th, the CVHS Drama Club brought Arthur Miller’s classic play, Death of a Salesman, to life.

The actors conveyed every single emotion their character felt so greatly, that there were many times in which there was not a dry eye in the house. Each actor had a clear understanding of their character, which allowed the audience to connect with the show much more. 

The plot follows Willy Loman, an aged salesman who lives with his wife Linda in New York , and their sons, Happy and Biff, who are visiting them as the play takes place. Throughout his years, Willy has worked incredibly hard for the Wagner Company, with little success to show for it.

Willy begins to go in and out of flashbacks of his past, many connecting with the present. The play shows the family’s many disputes and Willy seemingly attempting suicide; his unrealistic dream of having the perfect life ultimately results in his death.

Khalil Savoy, a senior at Chippewa, portrayed his brilliant take of Willy Loman on the CVHS stage. In the past, Savoy has played supporting roles in CVHS’ productions of Clue, Rosie the Riveter, and Big Fish. “In the past, I have mostly played the comical characters, so I was excited to take on a serious role and step out of my comfort zone.” Savoy said about taking on the role of Willy. 

When preparing to become Willy Loman, Savoy did as much research possible to fully commit to his character. “I spoke to a 96 year old woman, who explained how acting in the 1940’s was different from todays. Also, watching the movie and reading through the script so many times helped me reach a deeper understanding of Willy and what he experienced.” Savoy explained.

Regan Durak, another senior at CVHS and committed Drama Club member, played Linda Loman, Willy’s dedicated and loving wife. Her stunning performance exemplified the emotional depth her character holds.

“When I found out I was casted as Linda, I was so worried because I knew it was going to be a challenge to play her part.” Durak said. Having a deeper understanding of Linda made it easy to become her. “Once rehearsals started, I gradually fell in love with her character and how she developed throughout the show. She never just had one emotion—she was a very a dynamic character.” 

Similar to Savoy, this is Durak’s first play that is a drama. “Being a drama, the show was harder to promote, because people know they are not leaving the show with an uplifting feeling, but more of a somber one.”

Although no one left the show in a fit laughter, the CVHS Drama Club certainly made a lasting impression on the audience, with their incredible ability to convey the characters’ emotions and make a familiar play feel like it is the first time you are seeing it.

Be sure not to miss the next CVHS production of Blue Yonder on May 25th and 26th. Buy your tickets at cvtheater.org