Senior Spotlight: Emily Kummerl

Brooke Dobbs, Staff Writer

Emily Kummerl is a Chippewa Valley High School senior. Kummerl is also a member of the Chippewa Valley Varsity soccer team and has been apart of the team all four of her years at the Valley. Playing for this team has brought Kummerl closer to her fellow teammates and has let her make friends with all kinds of people.

Kummerl says she’s been playing soccer for as long as she can remember. Since she was 3 years old to be exact. She’s always looked up to Hope Solo and Mia Hamm, members of the Women’s USA Soccer Team. Kummerl always dreamed of playing professional soccer and thought it was what she wanted to pursue.

As of summer 2017, Kummerl tore her ACL. Your ACL is one of the key ligaments that help stabilize your knee joint. In other words, soccer was not in the picture anymore. Kummerl says “tearing my ACL was the hardest thing in the world for me. When I found out I tore it, I didn’t talk or hangout with anyone for a week or so. I was so hurt.”

Kummerl thinks that tearing her ACL has helped her realize that she would rather go into physical therapy. She had to go to physical therapy for months and being in the atmosphere made her fall in love with it. Kummerl says that tearing her ACL made her strong, even though it may have made her weaker in the process.

Kummerl’s soccer career is over for now but she doesn’t get worked up over it! She says “I still play for fun! Soccer will always be apart of me. It will forever be apart of my life.”  This whole process has made her grow and appreciate how much she loves the sport.

To see more information on the Chippewa Valley High School girls soccer team you can visit http://www.chippewavalleyschools.org/schools/high-schools/cvhs/athletics/spring-sports/soccer-girls/