From Chippewa to Canada

Breanna Murmyluk, Staff Writer

May 11th was the third annual trip to Stratford, Canada. For three years, students from the theater arts program have gone on a trip to Stratford in May. Since then, the attendance has grown; however, there is a small amount of kids who can attend. Students pay $65 to take part with a first come first serve basis. The money goes towards the bus ride and ticket to a show put on by the festival that runs from April to October. This year, the show was The Music Man.

The attendants were made up of theater art students here at CVS which was ran by Mr.Marinello. Tagging along for the fun day was: Mr.Pecar (choir teacher), Ms.Furgeson (pianist for CVHS choir), Mrs. Knep (a former student’s mom and great contributor to the program), and of course, Mr.Marinello.

The adventures started out at 10:30am when the bus dropped the students off at the town hall. From there, kids split off and did their own thing for a few hours before the show. Many groups instantly looked for a place to eat once stepping foot off the bus. Eventually, a numerous amount of people migrated to a place called Featured, a breakfast restaurant. As the hunger diminished kids took the streets of Stratford roaming around and shopping, little family owned shops lined the sidewalks with much to offer.

“It was all cool with the designs inside the stores. The lettering and stuff. It was really detailed and fun to read; I liked it.” ~Cindy Castor; sophmore

At 1pm, the bus transferred everyone to Sratford Festival (name of the building where the theater is held). By 2pm, The Music Man started. With all the dancing, vibrant colours, singing, and intriguing story line, there was no time to look away. The group of actors who took stage for the 2 hours performed their hearts out while delivering a story of a salesman looking to make a quick buck. Despite his effort, he ended up falling for a women instead of carrying out his swindling acts. In the end, the crowd was cheering and standing during vows applauding the wonderful performance.

“It was unexpected… all of it. The second act was really good and then it all came together!” ~ Cindy C

Once again, CVHS students tackled the streets after the show looking for food. When 7pm arrived, the groups merged together to take a picture as one whole, then get back on the bus to leave to go back home. After 10pm, the kids arrived safely at school and ready to go to sleep.

Thanks to Marinello, a bunch of students were able to have an amazing day in our neighboring country. The trip itself was formed when Mr.Marinello wanted students to experience the same opportunity he had back in high school when his teachers took him.

“I loved it. It was great. It was a great way of exposing ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth graders to theater. It was a fun day. It was cool to go to another country.” ~ Marinello

Hopefully, this will continue into next year, and many more to come.