Teacher Cadet

Hannah Nelson, Staff Writer

Teacher Cadet is a program offered by Chippewa Valley high schools. This program is for students interested in pursuing a career in education. For this class you leave the building for 5th and 6th hour and student teach in a middle school or elementary school in the district. The students go to placement every day besides Wednesdays. On Wednesdays, the teacher cadets stay in a class room and learn about teaching strategies used by teachers in all schools.

The students read amazing  books and learn how to write professional articles.  Teacher cadet is a small class that not many people know about. In fact, administration was considering ending the program because not many students signed up for the class. Mrs Kiel had a total of 17 students registered for teacher cadet for the 2019 school year. The administrative board said each class needs 20 students or it will be shut down. Luckily the board changed their mind and decided to run all the classes that are a few students short.

This class is so great because it gives students the opportunity to see if teaching is the right career path for them. It gives each student a real hands on experience. In placement the cadets are required to teach lessons to the students starting with a short 15 minute lesson and working their way up to a 30-45 minute lesson. The cadets do real teacher jobs like grading papers and working one on one with students in the hall. They mail assignments and can even attend parent teacher conferences. The teacher cadets build relationships with their students and really get a feel for what iit’ like to have your own class. The class is raw and real and it shows the good and bad things teachers go through.