What to Do Before You Leave for College

Back to Article
Back to Article

What to Do Before You Leave for College

Kylie Kuskowski, Staff Writer

This is it. Your last chance of freedom until you’re off on your own, in the ‘real world’. You’re officially out of high school, graduated, and attending your friends graduation parties every weekend. You know you need to make your last summer great, so here’s a few  things  to keep you busy before you go off to college in the fall.

Spend Time With Family

Although you may not believe it now, but you will miss your family and pesky siblings. They might seem annoying and always in your business, but once they’re not at arm’s reach whenever you want you will realize how much they really mean to you. This is your last chance to spend quality time with the people you love. Instead of locking yourself in your room all day and watching Netflix, go and hangout with your parents and siblings. Once you’re at school  they wont be just a few steps away anymore. You wont be able to see them whenever you want, or sit down and talk about  their day at dinner. Depending on how far away you go, you may only see them on holidays until the next summer.

Spend Time With Friends

You have spent the last twelve years with the same kids, and after you graduate, most of those kids you grew up with you will never see again. Take advantage of the long summer days and go out with those you care about, make memories you will never  forget.

Explore Your Hometown

If you’re going away for college, you are going to want to savor everything about your hometown before you leave. Although you might be sick of being stuck in the same place your whole life, you will miss it when you’re gone. Take a road trip and visit all your favorite spots in town: the restaurants, ice cream spots, the mall.  Even if you have seen them before, you’re going to miss being able to go there whenever you want once you’re gone. Do  research and figure out hidden places you’ve never been to before and visit them with your friends or family.

Visit Campus, Tour the Town

Spend some time familiarizing yourself with your new home. Learn your way around with the roads, bus stops, dorms, classes and go to food spots. This will help you be able to relax when classes start because you know where you’re going and you can make new friends by helping others out. You can also spend the summer to get to know your new roommate. Your first week living together will be much less awkward if you get to know  each other before hand.

Change Your Look

New school, new you. Take time getting fit this summer and picking out a new style. Whether it be your hair, makeup, or clothes. Clean out your closet and get rid of clothes you don’t wear or  wont take with you to college. Get a haircut and find the  new you. Change is good, its time to express yourself and learn more about who you are what you value before starting your new life at school.